Arkansas Returns To Action Against Northwestern St.
AT A GLANCE
Riding a three-game win streak in which its opponents are averaging just 58.7 points, Arkansas returns from Christmas break to host Northwestern State on Sunday afternoon.
•The Razorbacks will look to pick up their 10th win before the New Year for the ninth time in the last 11 years while looking to extend their 13-game home win streak at Bud Walton Arena.
•Arkansas is one of two teams in the top 15 nationally in scoring (12th), three-point field goal percentage (13th), assists (3rd) and turnover margin (15th).
•Under head coach MIKE ANDERSON, Arkansas is 16-0 at Bud Walton Arena in December, winning the 16 games by an average of 22 points.
•Sophomore BOBBY PORTIS is the first Razorback to go for at least 18 points and seven rebounds in five straight since CORLISS WILLIAMSON did so as a sophomore in 1994.
|Arkansas (9-2) vs Northwestern State (4-5)|
DATE | TIME
|Sunday, December 28, 2014 | 2:30 P.M. CT|
SITE | ARENA
|Fayetteville, Ark. | Bud Walton Arena (19,200)|
TV | VIDEO
|SEC Network & WatchESPN App|
|Mike Morgan (P-B-P) & Barry Booker (Analyst)|
|Razorback/IMG Sports Network|
|Phil Elson (P-B-P) & Scotty Thurman (Analyst)|
|Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
|#Fastest40 | #WeHogs|
AT BUD WALTON ARENA
AT AT BWA UNDER COACH A
VS. NORTHWESTERN STATE
|vs. Utah Valley (Jan. 3)|
RASHAD MADDEN is the only player in the country averaging at least five assists in under 25 minutes per game.
DOING IT WITH DEFENSE
Head coach MIKE ANDERSON has stressed defense since the team’s loss at nationally-ranked Iowa State. The Razorbacks have responded to coach A’s challenge, limiting their opponents to 58.7 points, 37 percent (59-160) from the field and 21 percent (12-58) from three during the team’s current three-game win streak. More glaring numbers during the win streak are Arkansas’ +11.0 rebounding edge per game and 60 points off 51 turnovers. The trio of BOBBY PORTIS, MICHAEL QUALLS and RASHAD MADDEN account for 56 percent of the team’s scoring the last three games.
@RAZORBACKMBB FAST BREAK FACTS
• One of two teams (Ohio State) nationally in the top 15 in scoring (12th), three-point field goal percentage (13th), assists (3rd) and turnover margin (15th).
• Won 50 straight non-conference games at Bud Walton Arena against unranked opponents.
• Own a 24-game home non-conference win streak that includes three games at Verizon Arena.
• Averaging 87.7 points over 24-game home non-conference win streak.
• Off to a 9-2 start for the second straight year.
• Own an 8-0 record when forcing 15+ turnovers and 7-0 mark when scoring 80+ points.
• Rank third in the nation in assists (19.3) and 12th in scoring (83.5).
• One of three teams in the SEC with four players averaging double figures.
• Scored 70+ points in 27 of the last 29 non-conference games.
• Hold the early lead in the SEC in scoring (83.5), three-pointers per game (7.9), three-point percentage (.410) and assists (19.3).
• Rank 13th nationally in three-point percentage thanks to five players shooting over 40 percent from three while five different players have made at least three trifectas in a game..
Head Coach: Mike Anderson (Tulsa ‘82)
Record at Arkansas: 68-41 (4th Season)
Overall Record: 268-139 (13th Season)
Vs. Northwestern State: 1-0
Head Coach: Mike McConathy (Louisiana Tech ‘77)
Record at Northwestern State: 244-232 (16th Season)
Overall Record: 596-391 (32nd Season)
Vs. Arkansas: 0-4
Either junior MICHAEL QUALLS or sophomore BOBBY PORTIS has been Arkansas’ top scorer in 10 of 11 games this season. combined for 30+ points seven times (6-1) and both finished in double figures on eight occasions One of the two has reached the 20-point plateau in seven games, while they are just one of two duos in the SEC to both rank in the top 10 in scoring. Qualls and Portis don’t just get it done on the offensive end, as they rank one and two on the team in rebounding, leading the way on the glass in the nine of the last 10 contests. Below is a look at the top scoring duos in the SEC.
Program Points Per Game
Jarell Martin & Jordan Mickey LSU 32.7
>>> Bobby Portis & Michael Qualls Arkansas 31.3
KT Harrell & Cinmeon Bowers Auburn 31.2
Damian Jones & Riley LaChance Vanderbilt 29.0
Levi Randolph & Ricky Tarrant Alabama 29.0
Currently the only player in the SEC in the top 5 in scoring (16.7/3rd), rebounding (7.3/4th) and field goal percentage (.570/2nd), sophomore BOBBY PORTIS has taken his game to another level over the last five contests. Portis is averaging 19.4 points and 8.6 rebounds the last five games, leading the team in scoring four times and on the glass each contest. Portis has gone for at least 18 points and seven rebounds in five straight, becoming the first Razorback to accomplish the feat since CORLISS WILLIAMSON did during his sophomore season in 1994.
One of just 22 teams in the country shooting over 40 percent from three, Arkansas shooting prowess from long range has come by committee. Led by 6-foot-11 sophomore BOBBY PORTIS’ 57 percent clip (8-14), the Razorbacks have five players shooting over 40 percent from three on the year while five different players have made three or more trifectas in a game. Arkansas has shot below 36 percent from three just one time on the year while 240 Division teams aren’t shooting 36 percent for the year.
SCOUTING NORTHWESTERN STATE
• Led by head coach Mike McConathy (16th year), who has led the program to eight winning seasons, three NCAA Tournament appearances, three Southland Conference Tournament titles and two NCAA Tournament wins.
• Ranked second in the nation in scoring each of the last two seasons.
• Coming off an 89-85 win over Louisiana Lafayette.
• Tied for 11th in the nation in steals per game (9.7).
• Lost three of five games when held below 70 points.
• Given up 75+ points to all six Division I opponents faced.
• A preseason Mid-Major All-American, junior Jalan West leads the nation in assists per game (8.6) and is tied for fifth in steals (3.0).
• West is coming off a double-double of 19 points and 10 assists against Louisiana Lafayette.
• Sophomore Zeek Woodley is second in the nation in scoring at 23.3 points per game that is fueled by seven straight games of 20+ points.