Arkansas Baseball Notebook
April 8, 2007
Overall Record: 24-10
SEC Record: 8-4 – 1st SEC West
Tuesday, April 3: #6 Arkansas 14, Northern Colorado 6
Wednesday, April 4: #6 Arkansas 9, Northern Colorado 7
Friday, April 6: #23 Mississippi State 11, #7 Arkansas 9
Saturday, April 7: #23 Mississippi State 2, #7 Arkansas 1
Sunday, April 7: #7 Arkansas 9, #23 Mississippi State 3
Noting the Razorbacks
No. 6 Arkansas finished the week with a 3-2 record after a two-run loss on Friday and a one-run loss on Saturday to Mississippi State … the Razorbacks opened the week with a two-game sweep of Northern Colorado at Baum Stadium and finished it off with a 9-3 victory over the Bulldogs on Sunday … the Hogs had one of their best offensive weeks of the season with a .352 batting average that included a .349 average against MSU … Arkansas raised its team batting average for the season to .301 … UA also slugged .608 as a team for the week with a .422 on-base percentage … the Hogs ripped 14 doubles to move into a tie for the SEC lead with 82 on the season … UA also ranks second in the league with a .407 on-base percentage as a team … Nick Schmidt and Duke Welker once again turned in outstanding starts for the Razorbacks … both pitchers have had recorded quality starts in all four of their SEC starts … Schmidt has nine straight quality starts this season and Welker has notched five consecutive … Welker took a no-hitter into the seventh inning on Saturday before a two-out, two-strike double plated both of MSU’s runs in a 2-1 Bulldog victory … Schmidt won his seventh game of the year and fanned nine in his start on Sunday for his 300th career strikeout … he is just the second Razorback in school history to accomplish the feat and is one strikeout shy of Matt Carnes’ (1995-97) school record of 301 … Schmidt also leads the SEC with a .181 opponent batting average while Welker is second at .184 … Danny Hamblin had his best week of the season with a .474 batting average, four doubles, two home runs and four RBI … he posted a 1.000 slugging percentage and a .500 on-base percentage over five games this week … on Sunday he became the first Hog to hit three doubles in a game since Andrew Wishy in 2003 … Hamblin also connected for his second multiple-home run game of the season on Tuesday against Northern Colorado and the fourth of his career … Logan Forsythe hit in all five games this week to run his hitting streak to eight games … the sophomore leads the Hogs and ranks ninth in the league with a .371 batting average … he ranks sixth in hitting in SEC play with a .400 average … Forsythe has hit in 28 of his last 30 games for the Hogs and is tied for second on the team with 29 RBI … Matt Willard also had three doubles on Sunday against Mississippi State and hit .600 in against the Bulldogs with four doubles and two RBI … Jake Dugger also turned in a strong week with a .471 average with two doubles, a home run and five RBI, including a 4-for-5 performance on Friday night vs. MSU … on the career record watch Danny Hamblin is third in at bats (830), for fourth in hits (251), second in home runs (44), ninth in runs scored (174), third in RBI (188), second in total bases (446), sixth in walks (112) and third in extra-base hits (104) … Dugger is second all time in walks (145), 11 back of Tim Thomas’ school record of 156 and ninth in hit by pitches (24) … Schmidt is tied with Dennis Fletcher for fourth in career starts (43), tied for fifth in career wins (24) with Matt Carnes, fifth in innings pitched (282.1) and sixth in ERA (2.71).
Hitter of the Week Nominee
Danny Hamblin * Senior
Rowlett, Texas/Rowlett High School
· Danny Hamblin put together his best week of the season with a .474 batting average (9 for 19), including a .462 average with three doubles against Mississippi State.
· He finished the week with a 1.000 slugging percentage with a .500 on-base percentage, four RBI and five runs scored.
· Hamblin connected for two home runs and four doubles for the week, including his second multiple home run game of the season and the fourth of his career vs. Northern Colorado on Tuesday.
· He then recorded his first four-hit game of the season on Sunday in the Hogs’ 9-3 win over Mississippi State. Hamblin was 4 for 4 with three doubles and two runs scored. He became the first Razorback to hit three doubles in a game since the 2003 season.
Pitcher of the Week Nominee
Nick Schmidt * Junior
St. Louis, Mo./Vianney High School
· Nick Schmidt improved to 7-0 on the season and 3-0 in SEC play with a commanding nine-strikeout performance against Mississippi State on Sunday.
· He pitched seven innings allowing three runs on nine hits with his second-highest strikeout performance of the season.
· Schmidt became just the second pitcher in Arkansas history to fan 300 batters and is one strikeout shy of Matt Carnes’ school record of 301.
· Arkansas is now 10-0 in his starts this season.
The Razorbacks continue their nine-game homestand this week, hosting Missouri State at 7:05 p.m. Tuesday. Arkansas then welcomes the SEC East leading Florida Gators to Baum Stadium for a three-game set over the weekend. The Saturday and Sunday games will be broadcast on Cox Sports Television.
Tuesday, April 10: Missouri State at Arkansas, 7:05 p.m.
Friday, April 13: Florida at Arkansas, 7:05 p.m.
Saturday, April 14: Florida at Arkansas, 2:05 p.m. (Cox Sports Television)
Sunday, April 15: Florida at Arkansas, 12:05 p.m. (Cox Sports Television)