Arkansas Baseball Update
Arkansas Baseball Update
Feb. 26, 2007
Overall Record: 9-3
Friday, Feb. 23: #5 Arkansas 12, Illinois State 1
Saturday, Feb. 24: Illinois State 12, #5 Arkansas 10
Sunday, Feb. 25: #5 Arkansas 9, Illinois State 8 (10 innings)
Noting the Razorbacks
No. 5 Arkansas improved to 9-3 on the season with a series win over a hot-hitting Illinois State team at Baum Stadium this past weekend … the Razorbacks took the opener, 12-1, behind the pitching of All-American left-hander Nick Schmidt … he held ISU to three hits over six-scoreless innings of work … Brian Walker had two hits and two RBI while Jake Dugger and Jacob Julius went 2 for 4 with two runs scored … the Redbirds won a slugfest on Saturday, 12-10 … UA’s pitching struggled to throw strikes, issuing a season-high eight walks … Wayne Hrozek led the way at the plate, going 3 for 4 with a home run, two doubles and a career-high four RBI … Arkansas has struggled on Saturday this season with an 0-3 record while the pitching staff has produced a 11.88 ERA … in all other games the Razorbacks have a 2.20 ERA … the Hogs battled back for a come-from-behind 9-8 win over ISU on Sunday … Arkansas trailed 7-0 in the seventh inning before Logan Forsythe connected for his second home run of the season … the Razorbacks then scored seven runs in the eighth inning to take the lead … Jess Todd blew his first save in the ninth inning, surrendering a two-out RBI single, but pitched a perfect 10th inning to get the win as UA pushed across an unearned run in the bottom half of the inning … Todd has allowed just one earned run in 11.1 innings of work this season and struck out 20 … he is averaging 15.88 strikeouts per nine innings and has a 10/1 strikeout to walk ration … Brad Secrist led the way at the plate on Sunday, going 2 for 5 with two RBI, which came in the Hogs’ seven-run eighth inning … Secrist is now batting .450 on the season (9 for 20) in four starts … Casey Coon leads Arkansas in batting average (.372), doubles (5), total bases (30), slugging percentage (.698), hits (16) and home runs (3) … his 20 RBI not only lead the Hogs, but the SEC as well.
Pitcher of the Week Nominee
St. Louis, Mo./Vianney High School
· Nick Schmidt improved to 2-0 on the season with a win over Illinois State
· He allowed just three hits in six-scoreless innings of work
· Schmidt lowered his ERA to 1.71 this season, having allowing just four earned runs in 21 innings
· He held the Redbird hitters to a .143 batting average and lowered his season opponent batting average to .147
· Schmidt did not allow an extra base hit to Illinois State and has allowed just one extra base hit all season
Hitter of the Week Nominee
The Woodlands, Texas/The Woodlands
· Wayne Hrozek batted .571 in two games against Illinois State this past weekend
· He went 3 for 4 on Saturday, Feb. 24, with two doubles and a home run
· Hrozek slugged 1.286, drove in four runs and scored three runs
· His four RBI on Saturday were a career high
Arkansas travels to the Dairy Queen Classic hosted by the University of Minnesota at the Metrodome in Minneapolis. The Razorbacks open with SEC foe Ole Miss on Friday, The Citadel on Saturday and the Golden Gophers on Sunday. It will be the Razorbacks first appearance in the Metrodome since the 2001 season.
Dairy Queen Classic (Metrodome)
Friday, March 2: Arkansas vs. Ole Miss, 12:15 p.m.
Saturday, March 3: Arkansas vs. The Citadel, 12 p.m.
Sunday, March 4: Arkansas at Minnesota, 3:05 p.m.