Baseball Hosts Gonzaga in Midweek Matchup
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The No. 16 Arkansas baseball team starts a stretch of five games in six days Tuesday, welcoming Gonzaga to town for a two-game midweek series at Baum Stadium.
Single game tickets to the series can be purchased by clicking here.
Both games will broadcasted live on SEC Network Plus and the WatchESPN App with Alex Perlman (PXP) and Troy Eklund (Analyst), while Phil Elson (PXP) and Rick Schaeffer (Analyst) will have the call on the IMG Razorback Sports Network.
Tue. | 6:35p | (ARK) RHP James Teague vs. (GON) LHP Calvin LeBrun
Wed. | 3:05p | (ARK) TBA vs. (GON) TBA
Tuesday Probable Starter – RHP James Teague
James Teague will make his second start of the year and fourth appearance of the season Tuesday as he gets the ball in the series-opener against Gonzaga. He has walked six and struck out seven in 5.1 innings of work, while opponents are hitting .263 against him. Teague has held the opposition to a .167 batting average with the bases empty and 0-for-5 with two outs in the frame.
• After a series win over West Coast Conference preseason favorite Loyola Marymount, Arkansas moved up four spots to No. 16 in the Perfect Game Top 25 Poll.
• Arkansas currently leads the SEC with a .332 batting average, recording 129 hits in 12 games, including 46 extra base hits.
• The Razorbacks have reached double-digit hits in seven of 12 games this season and have posted 10 or more runs four different times.
• The Razorback pitching staff has recorded double-digit strikeouts in six of the team’s 12 games this season, including a season-high 13 punch outs four different times.
• Arkansas hitters have struck out an SEC-low 65 times this season, averaging 5.41 strikeouts per game.
• Redshirt freshman Carson Shaddy has played in 11 of 12 games this season and is hitting .500 in 24 at-bats with a .667 slugging percentage and .600 on-base percentage.
• Tyler Spoon started the year hitting safely in 10 straight games and had a 12-game hitting streak dating back to last season. Over his 10-game hitting streak in 2015, Spoon hit .400 with 16 hits, 13 RBI, five doubles, one triple and two home runs.
• Arkansas has six players with double-digit hits, including Tyler Spoon with a team-best 16, while four players have 14 or more base knocks on the year.
Arkansas is 3-2 all-time against Gonzaga, who was picked fourth in the West Coast Conference preseason poll. Dating back to their first meeting at Baum Stadium in 2012, the Razorbacks have never dropped a game to the Bulldogs at home. The most recent matchup occurred on March 1, 2013, resulting in a 3-0 Gonzaga victory.
The Best Since 2005
Arkansas’ current SEC-leading .332 batting average is its highest average through 12 games since hitting .335 during the 2005 season.
Roll It Up
Arkansas has turned 14 doubles plays on the year for 1.17 double plays turned per game. Only Alabama has turned more double plays per game in the SEC at 1.2.
Breaking Down The Power Numbers
Arkansas has 12 home runs in as many games and is second in the SEC with 1.0 home runs per game, ranking only behind unbeaten Texas A&M in the SEC at 1.25. The Razorbacks’ 12 home runs through 12 games is the most since hitting 17 home runs through the first 12 games of the 2010 season.
DVH Milestone Watch
Head coach Dave Van Horn is closing in on 500 wins at Arkansas, currently sitting at 493-273 (.643) in his 13th season at the helm of the Razorbacks.
Arkansas opens SEC play this weekend, traveling to defending national champion Vanderbilt for a three-game series in Nashville, Tenn.
For more information on Arkansas baseball, follow @RazorbackBSB on Twitter.