Lady'Backs edged by Tennessee 4-3
FAYETTEVILLE – The 45th ranked University of Arkansas women’s tennis team came up just one match shy in an upset attempt over the 24th ranked University of Tennessee on Sunday afternoon as the Lady Volunteers escaped with a 4-3 at the Dills Indoor Tennis Center.
The match puts the Lady’Backs at 6-3 overall this season and a conference record of 0-2. Tennessee moves to .500 in conference play after suffering a loss to Louisiana State on Friday and 6-3 overall this season.
The big news of the day once again came from sophomore Ela Kaluder on court one. Kaluder upset 21st ranked Blakely Griffith, 6-2, 6-1, to move to 10-0 this season, which also doubles as the longest winning streak in her Lady’Back career. Sunday’s win was Kaluder’s second straight victory over players ranked in the top 25. On Friday, she defeated Georgia’s Natalie Frazier, 6-4, 6-4.
Junior Maryori Franco gave Arkansas their only other singles win. Franco was neck-and-neck with UT’s Connor Vogol on court two before edging the Lady Vol in the first set, 6-4. The second set was all Franco, who put the match away with a 6-1 second set win.
The doubles advantage was the closest the Lady’Backs have played all season thus far. Franco and sophomore Nanar Airapetian took the victory on court two with an 8-5 win, but the drama came on court one with Kaluder and junior Audrey Bordeleau. After being up 4-1, Tennessee’s Vogol and Caitlin Whoriskey rattled off three straight wins to tie the pro set at 4-4. Neither team was able to break the others serve in the next eight games, sending the doubles advantage decider into a tiebreaker. In the breaker, Arkansas found an edge to capture the point, 9-8(3).
The Lady’Backs are on the road next weekend as they continue SEC play against Vanderbilt and Kentucky on March 9th and 11th, respectively. For more information on Arkansas tennis or any other Lady Razorback sport, please visit LADYBACKS.COM.
Tennis Match Results
Tennessee 4, Arkansas 3
Match Time: 3 hr. 15 min.
1. Ela Kaluder/Audrey Bordeleau (UA) def. Connor Vogel/Caitlin Whoriskey (UT) 9-8(3)*
2. Nanar Airapetian/Maryori Franco (UA) def. Blakely Griffith/Victoria Jones (UT) 8-5
3. Samantha Orlin/Zsofia Zubor (UT) def. Melissa Hoffmeister/Rachel Wilhelm (UA) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. Ela Kaluder (UA) def. Blakely Griffith (UT) 6-2, 6-1
2. Maryori Franco (UA) def. Connor Vogel (UT) 6-4, 6-1
3. Caitlin Whoriskey (UT) def. Nanar Airapetian (UA) 6-4, 6-1*
4. Samantha Orlin (UT) def. Audrey Bordeleau (UA) 6-2, 6-2
5. Victoria Jones (UT) def. Rachel Wilhelm (UA) 6-2, 6-0
6. Zsofia Zubor (UT) def. Melissa Hoffmeister (UA) 6-0, 6-4
Order of Finish: 4,2,1,5,6,3
* Clinched point/match
— LADY RAZORBACKS —