Lady'Backs rock Jayhawks 5-2; move to 6-1 on the season
LAWRENCE, Kansas — Nanar Airapetian and Mayori Franco swept through their singles and doubles, and Arkansas’ top player Ela Kaluder picked up another straight set victory as the Lady Razorback tennis team defeated Kansas, 5-2, at Lawrence.
For the 55th-ranked Lady’Backs, 6-1 overall, it was another victory on the road over a regional rival from the Big 12.
Airapetian and Franco started the day by winning on the second doubles court in a 9-7 thriller over Kunigunda Dorn and Yulinana Svistun. The win proved the difference maker in the doubles point as the team split the first and third courts. Airapetian and Franco rallied from 7-5 down.
"That win was huge, because it allowed us to win the first three singles matches and take control of the event," UA head coach Michael Hegarty said. "It was critical once again for us to get that doubles point, and they made a huge comeback to set up the team victory."
Kaluder swept Elizavesta Avdeeva, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 1 singles, while Airapetian defeated Dorn for a second time at No. 2 in a three-setter, 4-6, 6-1, 6-1. Airapetian’s victory proved the match clincher.
Franco downed Edina Horvath with a first-set tiebreaker, 7-6 (5), 6-2, at No. 3 singles. Arkansas also got a singles victory from Melissa Hoffmeister on the sixth court, downing Stephanie Smith in a pro-set, 8-3.
"Once again, we were very strong in the top of the lineup," Hegarty said.
Hoffmeister also pulled out a doubles victory teaming with Rachel Wilhelm on the third court, 8-4, over Dorn and Smith. Wilhelm was unsuccessful in singles, losing at No. 5 to Svistun, 8-4. Bordeleau rounded out the afternoon for Arkansas with a 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (8) loss at four to Lauren Hommell.
With only three indoor courts and the team result decided, the final events were shorted.
Kaluder and Audrey Bordeleau fell on the first court in doubles, 8-4, to Avdeeva and Horvath.
Arkansas returns to the courts in 12 days hosting one of the top teams from the region, Brigham Young, at the Dills Indoor Tennis Center on Friday, Feb. 23 at noon. Admission is free.
1) #65 Ela Kaluder (Ark.) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU), 6-3, 6-1
2) Nanar Airapetian (Ark.) def. Kunigunda Dorn (KU), 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
3) Maryori Franco (Ark.) def. Edina Horvath (KU), 7-6 (5), 6-2
4) Lauren Hommell (KU) def. Audrey Bordeleau (Ark), 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (8)
5) Yuliana Svistun (KU) def. Rachel Wilhelm (Ark.), 8-4
6) Melissa Hoffmeister (Ark.) def. Stephanie Smith (KU), 8-3
1) Avdeeva/Horvath (KU) def. Kaluder/Bordeleau (Ark.), 8-4
2) Airapetian/Franco (Ark.) def. Dorn/Svistun (KU), 9-7
3) Hoffmeister/Wilhelm (Ark.) def. Dorn/Smith (KU), 8-4