Lopez Remains Near The Top
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – University of Arkansas senior Gabriela Lopez was even through 18 holes of second round action and is tied for ninth place after round two of stage three of the LPGA’s Qualifying School in Daytona Beach, Florida, Thursday.
Lopez is five off the lead after the first round on the Hills Course at LPGA International and the top 20 players earn full membership to the LPGA Tour. She is the top finishing amateur after two rounds and moved from a tie to fifth to her current tie for ninth with three rounds remaining.
The Mexico City, Mexico, native’s scorecard featured third birdies and three bogeys and she is in the clubhouse with rounds of 68-72=140.
Lopez is schedule to tee off with group 17 Thursday at 8:28 a.m. CT. She will play with Becky Morgan of Monmouth, United Kingdom, and Briana Mao of Folsom, Calif.
Former Razorback Emily Tubert, who currently plays on the Symetra Tour, opened with a first round 78 on the Hills Course. She added a second round 77 for 155 playing the Jones Course Thursday.
The field of 157 players will compete for 90 holes of stroke-play competition. The field will be cut after 72 holes to the low 70 players and ties.
Inside the Lines
• Final Stage of LPGA Qualifying School
• LPGA International – Jones and Hills Courses
• Dec. 2-6, 2015
• 157 players in the field
• Top 20 finishers (no ties) earn category 12 membership – full membership
• Players 21-45 plus ties earn category 17 membership –conditional status
• Stacy Lewis is the only other former Razorback to make it through Q School. Lewis won the final stage in 1988.
For more information on Arkansas women’s golf, follow @RazorbackWGolf on Twitter.