No. 19 Arkansas Ready For Saturday Showdown With Ole Miss
AT A GLANCE
Coming off its first loss in SEC action, No. 19/19 Arkansas begins a stretch of three of its next four at home when Ole Miss visits Bud Walton Arena on Saturday. The Razorbacks carry a 16-game home win streak into the first of two meetings this season with the Rebels. One of the wins on the current home win streak came against Ole Miss last year in the form of a 110-80 victory.
• Arkansas moved from No. 23 to No. 19 in Monday’s latest Associated Press Top 25 Poll and from No. 25 to No. 19 in the USA Today Coaches Poll.
• One of 11 SEC teams in the ESPN RPI Top 100, Arkansas is No. 13 with three wins over the top 25 (at SMU-18, Dayton – 20, at Georgia-25).
• Sophomore BOBBY PORTIS (18.0) & junior MICHAEL QUALLS (15.8) are the top SEC scoring duo.
• Arkansas is one of four teams in the top 10 nationally in scoring (7th) and assists (4th).
Sophomore BOBBY PORTIS is the fourth player in program history to lead Arkansas in scoring the first three SEC games.
|No. 19 Arkansas (13-3, 2-1) vs Ole Miss (10-6, 1-2)|
DATE | TIME
|Saturday, January 17, 2015 | 8:35 P.M. CT|
SITE | ARENA
|Fayetteville, Ark. | Bud Walton Arena (19,200)|
TV | VIDEO
|ESPNU & WatchESPN App|
|John Brickley (PBP), Cory Alexander (Analyst)|
|Razorback/IMG Sports Network|
|Chuck Barrett (P-B-P) & Scotty Thurman (Analyst)|
|Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
|#Fastest40 | #WeHogs|
VS. OLE MISS
|vs. Alabama (Thursday, Jan. 22)|
@RAZORBACKMBB FAST BREAK FACTS
• One of four teams (BYU, Davidson, Gonzaga) nationally in the top 10 in scoring (7th) and assists (4th).
• Own a 16-game home win streak and are 61-6 all-time at Bud Walton Arena under head coach MIKE ANDERSON.
• Averaging 87.6 points per game at Bud Walton Arena this season while limiting opponents to just 67.0.
• Scored at least 40 points in 14 of 20 halves at Bud Walton Arena.
• Own an 11-0 record when forcing 15+ turnovers and 9-0 mark when scoring 80+ points.
• Won 21 straight games when leading at the half.
• BOBBY PORTIS and MICHAEL QUALLS are the top scoring duo in the SEC at 33.8 points per game.
• Lead the SEC in scoring (83.0), three-pointers per game (7.4) and assists (18.2).
• Only SEC team to score at least 65 points in every game.
• Portis and Qualls have combined for 30+ points 11 times (9-2).
• Lead the SEC in assist/turnover ratio (1.5) and steals (8.7) while ranking second in turnover margin (+4.3).
Head Coach: Mike Anderson (Tulsa ‘82)
Record at Arkansas: 72-42 (4th Season)
Overall Record: 272-140 (13th Season)
Vs. Ole Miss: 1-3
Head Coach: Andy Kennedy (UAB ‘91)
Record at Ole Miss: 181-107 (9th Season)
Overall Record: 202-120 (10th Season)
Vs. Arkansas: 10-4
STARTING 5 QUICK 5 HITS
#00 | Rashad MADDEN (G)
• Only player in the nation averaging at least five assists (5.4) in under 25 minutes.
• Has 5+ assists in 12 games compared to nine times over first three seasons.
• Second in the SEC in assists (5.4) and fourth in assist/turnover ratio (2.3).
• Has led Arkansas is assists 13 times.
• SEC leader in free throw percentage (.922).
#04 | Jabril DURHAM (G)
• Arkansas is 7-1 in games he has started.
• Started seven of the last eight games.
• Second on the team with 37 assists with a 2.6 assist/turnover ratio.
• Went 3-for-3 from three-point range in the win over Dayton.
• Has led the team in assists three times.
#24 | Michael QUALLS (G)
• Second on the team and fifth in the SEC in scoring (15.8).
• Has eight 20-point games in his last 25 outings compared to one over first 55.
• Arkansas is 12-2 the last two season when he has 2+ dunks in a game.
• Has appeared on the #SCtop10 nine times in his career.
• Scored a career-high 28 points against Northwestern State.
#22 | Jacorey WILLIAMS (F)
• Third on the team with a plus/minus rating of +135.
• Four double figure games are one more than his career total entering the year.
• Averaging career-highs of 6.7 points and 3.4 rebounds.
• Two #SCtop10 plays on the year, including the No. 3 play vs. Utah Valley.
• Arkansas is 5-1 when he’s in the starting lineup – first career starts.
#10 | Bobby PORTIS (F)
• Named to the Wooden Award Midseason Top 25 on Wednesday.
• CBS Sports & SEC Player of the Week.
• Leads the SEC in scoring (18.0) and field goal percentage (.582).
• One of four high-major players averaging at least 18 points and 8.0 rebounds.
• Reached double figures in a career-best 11 games.
BP SEC QUICK HITS
Besides looking to become the first player in Arkansas history to lead the team in scoring each of the team’s first four SEC games, sophomore BOBBY PORTIS’ hot start to conference play has him in the same conversation with some of the program’s elite players.
• Fifth player to record multiple 30-point games in his career against SEC opponents, joining Todd Day (3), Jannero Pargo (3), Scotty Thurman (2) and Jonathon Modica (2).
• First player with back-to-back doubles in SEC play since Patrick Beverley in January of 2008. Three straight double-doubles in SEC play has only been done once by Derek Hood in 1999.
After leading the Razorbacks to a pair of wins in the opening week of SEC play with his first career back-to-back 20-point games, sophomore BOBBY PORTIS was named the CBS Sports National Player of the Week and the SEC Player of the Week. Portis averaged 26.5 points, 8.0 rebounds and 2.5 steals during the wins at Georgia and at home against Vanderbilt. Though the SEC Player of the Week honor is the first for Portis, he did earned SEC Freshman of the Week honors three times last year, equaling Patrick Beverley’s program record.
SCOUTING OLE MISS
• Own a 10-6 overall record under ninth year head coach Andy Kennedy.
• Nearly ended Kentucky’s perfect start in its SEC season opener at Rupp Arena.
• Four of its last five games have come against top 50 RPI teams.
• Last three loses against LSU, at Kentucky and at Dayton have come by four points or less.
• Lead the nation in free throw percentage (.789).
• Led by the backcourt of Stefan Moody (14.8), Jarvis Summers (14.3) and LaDarius White (12.1) that account for 55 percent of the team’s scoring.
• Summers was named to the Cousy Award Watch List prior to the season.
• Moody and Summers are the fifth-highest scoring duo in the SEC at 29.1 points and have upped their combined average to 37.0 ppg in SEC action.
Led by then-sophomore Anthlon Bell’s 23 points, Arkansas used a program SEC record 17 three-pointers to snap a six-game losing streak against Ole Miss on March 5, 2014 witha 110-80 win at Bud Walton Arena. Behind 7-of-10 from Bell in 12 minutes off the bench, the Razorbacks hit 17-of-30 from three-point land and led by as many as 43 in the second half.