@Razorbackwbb Know Your Opponent: No. 22/21 Georgia
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Following a stretch that saw the University of Arkansas women’s basketball team play three of its last four conference games on the road, the Razorbacks return home to play No. 22/21 Georgia Monday night. In the midst of a two-game winning streak, Arkansas will be looking to knock off its first ranked conference opponent and second of the season after beating No. 17/16 Iowa Nov. 28. The last time Arkansas defeated multiple ranked opponents in the same season came in 2011-12.
Here is a look ahead to the Razorbacks’ next opponent:
SCOUTING No. 22/21 GEORGIA
• Georgia enters Monday’s matchup with a 17-6 record and 5-5 in SEC. The Bulldogs are coming off a stretch in which they played four straight SEC opponents ranked inside the top 10. Georgia won the first game of that stretch against Texas A&M, but since have lost three straight, falling to Tennessee, Kentucky, and most recently, top-ranked South Carolina on Feb. 6.
• Georgia averages 62.0 points per game (11th SEC) and gives up 52.7 per game (second SEC).
• The Bulldogs shoot 37.8 percent (13th SEC) and allow opponents to shoot 36.2 percent (sixth SEC).
• The team’s leading scorer, Shacobia Barbee, went down with a season-ending injury on Jan. 25
• Tiaria Griffin leads the team in scoring with 11.4 per game.
• Andy Landers (Tennessee Tech, ’74) has compiled an 860-293 record in his 36th season as Georgia’s head coach. He is in his 40th season overall as a head coach with a record of 942-314 after serving at Roane St. Community College from 1976-79. Georgia has advanced to 31 NCAA Tournaments under Landers, including the last 20 in a row.
• Arkansas trails the all-time series with Georgia 4-29, including a 2-14 mark in games played in Fayetteville. The Bulldogs edged out the Razorbacks 60-58 in the teams’ last meeting, Jan. 16, 2014, in Athens. Arkansas has dropped the last eight meetings in a row, with the last win coming Feb. 8, 2009.
For more information on Arkansas women’s basketball, follow @RazorbackWBB on Twitter.