Arkansas Drops Match To No. 2 Ohio State
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Arkansas men’s tennis team dropped its match to No. 2 Ohio State Sunday afternoon 4-1 in Columbus. The Razorbacks were making their first appearance in the second round of the ITA Kickoff Weekend tournament since 2007 after defeating Cornell 4-3 Saturday.
“We were competitive,” said head coach Andy Jackson. “At that level that is encouraging. In the end, Ohio State was too good today.”
The No. 2 Buckeyes took the doubles point in after taking courts two and one in succession.
In singles play, Ohio State played four players that held national rankings. On court one, No. 3 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. Oscar Mesquida 6-3, 6-3 as the Buckeyes took a quick 2-0 lead.
Ohio State took a 3-0 lead as Jose Dominguez Alonso was beaten by Hunter Tubert (OSU) 6-4, 6-1. The Razorbacks would pull within 3-1 as Adam Sanjurjo def. No. 36 John McNalley (OSU) 7-5, 6-3 on court two.
Ohio State clinched the match shortly after as No. 13 Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Alex Reco 6-4, 7-6(7-5).
The Razorbacks return home Sunday, Feb. 3 to host a doubleheader against Tulsa and Omaha. First serve is scheduled for 1 p.m.
Doubles Results – Order of Finish (1,2)
1. Wolf/Joyce (OSU) def. Mesquida/Sanjurjo, 6-3
2. Kobelt/Trotter (OSU) def. Verboven/Paya (AR), 6-2
3. Tubert/McNally (OSU) vs. Reco/Howard-Tripp, 5-3, unfinished
Singles Results – Order of Finish (1,6,2,3)
1. No. 3 Wolf (OSU) def. Mesquida (AR), 6-3, 6-3
2. Sanjurjo def. No. 36 McNally 7-5, 6-3
3. No. 13 Seelig (OSU) def. Reco (OSU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
4. P. Dominguez Alonso (AR) vs. No. 122 Trotter (OSU), 2-6, 7-5, unfinished
5. Paya (AR) vs. Joyce (OSU) 7-6(7-5), 3-6, unfinished
6. Tubert (OSU) def. J. Dominguez Alonso (AR), 6-4, 6-1
For more information on Arkansas men’s tennis, including in-match updates, follow @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.