Arkansas Splits Day One in Puerto Vallarta
PUERTO VALLARTA, MEXICO – The University of Arkansas softball team split day one of the Puerto Vallarta College Challenge with North Dakota State and #5 Washington. The Hogs claimed a 7-6 win over the Bison before dropping a heartbreaking 3-2 walk-off loss to the Huskies later in the night.
The Razorbacks have two more days of competition in Mexico. They will face Northern Colorado tomorrow (Friday, Feb. 15) at 3:00 p.m. before matching up against Sacramento State at the same time on Saturday (Feb. 16). The Hogs are a combined 4-4 against the two teams.
Game 1: Arkansas 7, NDSU 6
- Arkansas jumped out to a 2-0 lead with an RBI from Ashley Diaz and Danielle Gibson.
- NDSU responded with a single run in the fourth, unearned off a Razorback error.
- The Hogs scored a run in the fourth as well, as Bugarin’s lead off double put her in position to score after a sacrifice fly by freshman Maggie Hicks.
- The Hogs trailed for the first time this season after the Bison plated three runs in the top of the sixth to take a 5-3 lead. NDSU managed three runs on two hits and two Arkansas errors in the inning.
- Hicks hit her first collegiate homerun of the season, bringing in three runs and giving the hogs a 6- lead.
- NDSU scored one in the seventh to tie the game with a single up the middle on a 2-2 count.
- Arkansas closed out the game after loading the bases in the bottom of the inning for Sydney Parr who earned a walk-off base on balls to win the ball game, 7-6.
- Autumn Storms recorded her third win of the season and stays undefeated in the circle – she tied her career high of nine strikeouts in a single game.
Game 2: Arkansas 2, Washington 3
- After leaving the bases loaded in the first, the Hogs scored first with back-to-back hits by Hannah McEwen and Gibson to score Parr and Hicks.
- Washington tacked on its first run of the game off an Arkansas error in the second inning.
- The Hogs held onto a 2-1 lead all the way through the top of the seventh inning, in that time span they left nine Razorbacks on base.
- UW’s Milloy led off with a first-pitch single, then was sent home on a double by teammate Sis Bates. Bates would be the winning run, scored by Flores’ single to left field.
- The Huskies scored two runs on three hits in the bottom of the inning, taking the 3-2 win.
- Arkansas’ ten hits are the most against Washington all season.
- Mary Haff recorded her first loss of the season and is now at 3-1 headed into day two of the Puerto Vallarta Challenge.
— ArkansasRazorbacks.com || On Twitter @ArkRazorbacks || Facebook.com/ArkansasRazorbacks –