Doubles Advance to Quarterfinals
FAYETTEVILLE-Ark.- The University of Arkansas men’s tennis team advanced two doubles teams into the doubles main draw quarterfinal round on Saturday of the USTA/ITA Regional Championships.
Four Razorbacks competed in the singles main draw round of 16 with N0. 10 seed Mike Redlicki winning his match to advance to the quarterfinals. Redlicki defeated Oklahoma State’s Lukas Finzelberg, 6-3, 7-6 (5). No. 5 seed overall from Oklahoma State defeated Santiago Munoz in the round of 16, 6-4, 6-0.
In the singles main draw, Redlicki defeated No. 14 overall seed Vinny Gillespie from Drake. The first set he came out strong and won 6-1. Redlicki had to come back from the second set to win the third set and advance to the semi-finals round.
“I’m very pleased about today’s matches” Redlicki said. “I played two very good players and was honored that I was able to end up victorious. I’m hoping it can continue onto tomorrow.”
Senior Austin Robles and red-shirt junior Jacob Herndon had an exciting day in the main doubles draw. They were able to take down Castellano and Psarros of UMKC that went into a tie-breaker match, 8-7 (5). No. 4 seed Redlicki and his doubles partner Marco Micolani were victorious in the doubles round of 16 against Mendes and Stoica of Wichita State, 8-3.
With two doubles pairs and one singles competitors still in the mix, the Razorbacks will continue play Sunday at the Dills Billingsley Tennis Center in Fayetteville, Ark.
Live scoring for Sunday’s matches can be found under quick links on the Arkansas men’s tennis page.
Singles Round of 16:
- 10 Mike Redlicki (ARK) def. Lukas Finzelberg (OSU) 6-3, 7-6(5)
- 5 Arjun Kadhe (OSU) def. Santiago Munoz (ARK) 6-4, 6-0
- Lucas Gerch (OSU) def. 11 Jose Salazar (ARK) 4-6, 6-3, 7-6(6)
- 8 Felix Corwin (MN) def. 4 Marco Micolani (ARK) 6-1, 6-3
- 10 Mike Redlicki (ARK) def. 14 Vinny Gillespie (DU) 6-1, 1-6, 6-2
Doubles Round of 16:
- Austin Robles/Jacob Herndon (ARK) def. Castellano/Psarros (UMKC) 8-7 (5)
- 4 Mike Redlicki/Marco Micolani (ARK) def. Mendes/Stoica (WS) 8-3
For more information on Arkansas men’s tennis, follow @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.