Herrerias Leads Hogs Over No. 19 'Horns
AUSTIN, Texas — With the team score tied 3-3, Wednesday night’s matchup between the No. 21 Arkansas men’s tennis team and No. 19 Texas came down to the final set.
David Herrerias pulled out a three-set win at No. 6 singles to give the Razorbacks a victory in Austin over the Longhorns. The sophomore from Spain defeated Julian Zoblinsky by a score of 7-6 (3), 2-6, 6-2 for his second-straight win since being inserted into the singles lineup last week.
It was the team’s third top-20 victory this season, as Arkansas improved to 15-4 overall. With the loss, Texas fell to 11-6.
“It’s always special for the Razorbacks to play the Longhorns,” head coach Andy Jackson said. “David was clutch in a very difficult and intense situation. Texas competed very hard and we were able to match it; we’re very excited to win tonight.”
• With wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles, the Razorbacks won the first point for the 11th time this season. Arkansas is 10-1 when claiming the doubles point.
• The No. 16 pair of Giammarco Micolani and Mike Redlicki at the top spot and the duo of Jose Salazar and Adam Sanjurjo at the second spot each won their second-straight matches.
• Micolani and Redlicki defeated No. 61 Adrian Ortiz and Michael Riechmann in a tiebreaker, winning 7-6 (1) to clinch the doubles point. The pair improved to 2-0 in matches decided in a tiebreaker and 5-3 against ranked opponents.
• In singles, No. 114 Salazar beat Harrison Scott in three sets to improve to 9-2 at the No. 2 spot. Salazar has won five of his last six matches.
• After defeating Rodrigo Banzer, Micolani has won five consecutive matches. Micolani dropped only five games in the victory, and has lost only nine games over the last two matches in a pair of straight-set wins.
• Herrerias notched the clinching point for Arkansas and now boasts a 7-1 record, including five consecutive victories. His .875 winning percentage is the best among all Razorbacks with four or more decisions.
Arkansas returns to Billingsley Tennis Center Sunday, March 27 with a match against Southeastern Conference foe Ole Miss. The Razorbacks and Rebels will begin doubles play with first serve at 1 p.m.
1. No. 16 Giammarco Micolani/Mike Redlicki (AR) def. No. 61 Adrian Ortiz/Michael Riechmann (TX) 7-6 (1)
2. Jose Salazar/Adam Sanjurjo (AR) def. George Goldhoff/Julian Zlobinsky (TX) 6-4
3. John Mee/Harrison Scott (TX) def. Santiago Munoz/Johan den Toom (AR) 6-2
1. George Goldhoff (TX) def. No. 30 Mike Redlicki (AR) 6-2, 7-6 (6)
2. No. 114 Jose Salazar (AR) def. Harrison Scott (TX) 3-6, 6-2, 6-0
3. Adrian Ortiz (TX) def. Santiago Munoz (AR) 6-1, 6-0
4. Giammarco Micolani (AR) def. Rodrigo Banzer (TX) 6-3, 6-2
5. Michael Riechmann (TX) def. Adam Sanjurjo (AR) 7-6 (6), 6-4
6. David Herrerias (AR) def. Julian Zlobinsky (TX) 7-6 (3), 2-6, 6-2
ORDER OF FINISH
Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,5,4,2,1,6)