Hogs Split Weekend Matches With Loss To Texas
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The Arkansas men’s tennis team fell 6-1 to the No. 16 Texas Longhorns in Austin on Sunday afternoon to split its weekend matches in Texas.
Arkansas started the day by dropping the doubles point with losses on courts two (6-3) and three (6-4). On court one, Jose Salazar and Josh Howard-Tripp were tied 4-4 when the point was clinched.
The Razorbacks would loss five straight courts to give the Longhorns a 6-0 lead and the match. Junior Oscar Mesquida was the first Razorback to fall, losing 6-2, 6-2 to Christian Sigsgaard. Following him, No. 59 Salazar lost to Yuya Ito 6-2, 7-6 (7-5), snapping his five-match winning streak.
Jose Alonso would fall 6-4, 6-1 to Adrian Ortiz on the last court, just ahead of his brother Pedro Alonso, who fell to No. 37 Leonardo Telles 6-4, 6-3. Howard-Tripp would drop to No. 54 Harrison Scott 7-6 (7-4), 6-3.
The only set wins of the match for Arkansas came on court five, where freshman Alex Reco defeated No. 85 Rodrigo Banzer in three sets 2-6, 6-1, 6-3 to pick up Arkansas’ lone point of the match.
The Razorbacks return home Friday, March 2 to open Southeastern Conference play against the LSU Tigers at 6 p.m.
No. 16 Texas 6, Arkansas 1
Singles Results – Order of finish (3,1,6,4,2,5)
1. Yuya Ito (UT) def. #59 Jose Salazar (AR) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
2. #54 Harrison Scott (UT) def. Josh Howard-Tripp (AR) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
3. Christian Sigsgaard (UT) def. Oscar Mesquida (AR) 6-2, 6-2
4. #37 Leonardo Telles (UT) def. Pedro Alonso (AR) 6-4, 6-3
5. Alex Reco (AR) def. #85 Rodrigo Banzer (UT) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
6. Adrian Ortiz (UT) def. Jose Alonso (AR) 6-4, 6-1
Doubles Results – Order of finish (2,3)
1. #4 Rodrigo Banzer/Leonardo Telles (UT) vs. Jose Salazar/Josh Howard-Tripp (AR) 4-4, unfinished
2. #59 Adrian Ortiz/Christian Sigsgaard (UT) def. Adam Sanjurjo/Branch Terrell (AR) 6-3
3. Yuya Ito/Colin Markes (UT) def. Oscar Mesquida/Alex Reco (AR) 6-4
For more information on Razorback men’s tennis, please follow @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.