Ortiz, Strong Finish Highlight First Round In Cali
CARLSBAD, Calif. – For the third time in four fall events it was sophomore Alvaro Ortiz leading the way for Arkansas in the first round, as he fired a team-low three-under 68 on the first day of the 11th Annual Gifford Collegiate held at the La Costa Legends Course. The Razorbacks enter Tuesday’s second round in a tie for fifth in the field of 15 teams.
Ortiz’s 68 landed him in a tie for second place in the individual standings, while Arkansas shook off a bit of a slow start by shooting a combined three-under over the course’s final four holes. Starting his 40th career tournament as a Razorback, senior Taylor Moore carded two birdies and an eagle over the final four holes to highlight the strong finish that helped Arkansas move into a three-way tie for fifth place.
Ortiz By The Numbers In The First Round (3 Events)
In three of four fall events, Ortiz has been Arkansas’ low-man in the first round. He was the first round leader at the Carmel Cup and Jerry Pate Intercollegiate, and is now just one off the lead at the Gifford Collegiate. Below is a breakdown of Ortiz’s three terrific first round performances this fall.
- Produced a stroke average of 67.3.
- Carded 16 birdies over those three rounds.
- Shot a combined 11-under over the three rounds.
- Finished under-par in each round, just one off his entire total from 2014-15.
- Carded a career-low five-under 65 in the Jerry Pate Intercollegiate first round.
Sitting just five strokes off the lead, Arkansas will play alongside No. 22 USF and host UCLA in the second round starting at 10:55 a.m. CT. Ortiz will be the final Razorback off the first tee at 11:39 a.m. CT and will play with first round leader Cole Madey (-4) of UCLA.
Live scoring for all three rounds can be found on www.Golfstat.com or via the Golfstat Live app.
First Round Quick Hits
- Arkansas finished a combined six-under on the course’s par 5s, led by Ortiz at three-under.
- Arkansas ranks second in the field with 58 pars.
- Arkansas’ four counting scores were a combined one-under on the back nine and seven-over on the front nine.
- Ortiz carded six of the team’s 11 birdies on the day.
- Ortiz’s six birdies tied for the most in the 81-player field.
- Moore’s eagle was the fifth of his career.
- Crawford led Arkansas with 14 pars.
@RazorbackMGolf Lineup (Stroke Average)
T2. Alvaro Ortiz – 68 (-3)
T25. Kolton Crawford – 73
T35. Taylor Moore – 74
T45. Nicolas Echavarria – 75
T57. Noah Edmondson – 76
Gifford Collegiate Standings (Golfweek Ranking)
T1. Stanford (5) – 285
T1. Washington (47) – 285
T3. Oregon (31) – 287
T3. UCLA (29) – 287
T5. USF (22) – 290
T5. Arkansas – 290
T5. San Diego State (26) – 290
T8. Texas AM (28) – 292
T8. Colorado (71) – 292
10. Wisconsin (143) – 294
11. Tennessee (44) – 296
T12. Harvard (80) – 298
T12. Northwestern (52) – 298
14. Marquette (90) – 299
15. San Jose State (96) – 306