Razorbacks Advance at USTA/ITA Regionals
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark.-The University of Arkansas men’s tennis team had a successful day of competition resulting in four of the five competitors moving on to the third day of the singles competition.
The University of Arkansas men’s tennis team is hosting the USTA/ITA Regional Championships Oct. 15-19th in Fayetteville, Ark. The tournament invites some of the top men’s tennis players to compete in the Dills Billingsley Tennis Center. The tournament features 18 schools including Arkansas.
Santiago Munoz and Juan Marino played against Oral Roberts University Pehnec and Saletovic in the doubles round of 64. Munoz and Marino fought hard and came out on top 8-6. Johan den Toom and doubles partner William Albanese defeated Buckley and Dunn from University of Nebraska-Omaha in the doubles round of 64, but fell to doubles team Gaffigan and Houle 8-7 (3) from SIUE in the doubles round of 32. Jose Salazar and David Herrerias defeated their opponents Pham and Gaismins 8-4 from UMKC in the doubles round of 64, but fell in the doubles round of 32, 8-4, to doubles team Hallenstrand and Larsen from Iowa.
The highlight of the day was in the doubles round of 32 when Austin Robles and Jacob Herndon defeated the number eight seeds, Toby Boyer and Dusty Boyer from Nebraska 8-7 (5) . Number four seed Mike Redlicki and Marco Micolani began their first doubles match of the competition against Drake University’s Ben Wood and Ben Clark. Redlicki and Micolani won 8-3 to advance in the singles competition.
In the singles round of 32, four of the five Razorbacks advanced to the singles round of 16. The Razorbacks still have number four seed Micolani, number ten seed Redlicki and number 11 seed Salazar competing. Also, senior Munoz won his match against teammate Robles to advance to the singles round of 16.
“We are excited to continue to compete in the tournament and increase competition.” said Head Coach Andy Jackson.
Saturday’s match will begin with the singles round and the consolations, followed by the doubles.
Results from Friday, Oct. 16th:
Doubles Round of 64:
- Munoz/Marino (ARK) def. Pehnec/Saletovic (ORU) 8-6
- den Toom/Albanese (ARK) def. Buckley/Dunn (UNO) 8-7 (5)
- Salazar/Herrerias (ARK) def. Pham/Gaismins (UMKC) 8-4
Doubles Round of 32:
- Robles/Herndon (ARK) def. 8 Boyer/Boyer (NEB) 8-7 (5)
- 4 Redlicki/Micolani (ARK) def. Wood/Clark (DU) 8-3
- Gerch/Mendoza (OSU) def. Munoz/Marino (ARK) 8-7 (4)
- Hallenstrand/Larsen (IA) def. def. Salazar/Herrerias (ARK) 8-7 (5)
- Gaffigan/Houle (SIUE) def. den Toom/Albanese (ARK) 8-7 (3)
Singles Round of 32:
- 10 Mike Redlicki (ARK) def. Vasileois Stravropolous (NEB) 6-2, 6-0
- Santiago Munoz (ARK) def. Austin Robles (ARK) 6-1, 6-4
- 4 Marco Micolani (ARK) def. Wilder Pimentel (SIUC) 6-2, 6-1
- 11 Jose Salazar (ARK) def. Jonny Rigby (SIUC) 6-1, 6-4
For more information on Arkansas men’s tennis, follow @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.