Cosper Scores 21 In Razorback Win
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – University of Arkansas graduate student Devin Cosper led four Razorback women’s basketball players in double figure scoring in a 74-66 Southeastern Conference win over Alabama in Tuscaloosa, on Sunday.
|Cosper Postgame Interview|
It is the sixth time that Cosper has scored 20 or more points this season. Junior Malica Monk added 17 points followed by junior Bailey Zimmerman with 11 and 10 points for sophomore Kiara Williams. The win by Arkansas (12-11, 3-7 SEC) avenges an earlier season loss to the Crimson Tide (14-9, 4-6 SEC).
The game was won in the first half for the Razorbacks. Alabama put together a 6-0 scoring run but Arkansas answered with a 9-0 run after the media timeout. They held the Crimson Tide without a field goal for the final 3:07 of the first quarter to take a 19-14 lead after the first 10 minutes of play.
The Razorbacks won the second quarter 21-12 and finished the half on an 8-0 run including back-to-back 3-point field goals by Cosper and Raven Northcross-Baker. The Razorback defense held the Crimson Tide scoreless for the final 2:13 of the frame taking a 40-26 lead into the locker room.
The teams were even in the third quarter with Arkansas outscoring Alabama 18-16 and the Razorbacks started the fourth quarter strong, stretching their lead to as many as 19 early in the frame. Bama mounted a comeback and forced Arkansas into some foul trouble – similar to the first meeting in which the Tide hit 20-of-25 free throws in the fourth quarter.
The Tide went 9-for-14 from the bonus line and were not able to overcome the strong and balanced play by Arkansas.
• Arkansas’ 40 first-half points is the second-best total in an SEC game this year and the fifth time they have scored 40+ in the first 20 minutes.
• Devin Cosper had 10 first half points. It is the fifth time she has scored in double digits in the first half. She finished with 21 points. It is Cosper’s 17th double figure game of the year and the 39th of her career. It is the sixth 20+ point game of the season and her seventh career 20+ point game.
• Malica Monk finished with 17 points. She has scored in double figures in 22 of 23 games this year and has 38 career double figure games.
• Devin Cosper had three made 3-point field goals. It is the second consecutive game with 3 made 3-pointers.
• In two games against Alabama this year, Devin Cosper has scored 45 points, grabbed 16 rebounds, gone 14-for-14 from the line and shot 43.8% from the field.
There are just six regular season games remaining for the Razorbacks. Arkansas returns home hosting No. 12 Tennessee on Feb. 8 and welcomes No. 15 Missouri on Feb. 11. The Razorbacks have another rematch, this time at Kentucky, on Feb. 15 followed by home games with LSU, who is getting votes in the national poll, and No. 14 Texas A&M. The regular season concludes with a trip to Vanderbilt on Feb. 25.
For more information about Arkansas women’s basketball, follow us on Twitter and Instagram at @RazorbackWBB and on Facebook at Facebook.com/RazorbackWBB. Be sure to subscribe to our YouTube Channel, “Kickin’ It In The Neighborhood” for an inside look at the Razorback women’s basketball program and check out The Neighborhood podcasts at CoachNeighbors.com.