Monk Scores 23 Points In Loss
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – University of Arkansas junior Malica Monk had a Herculean effort, but a cold third quarter sunk the Razorback women’s basketball team as they fell to Florida 65-51 in Southeastern Conference action in Bud Walton Arena on Thursday.
|Postgame Press Conference|
Monk scored 23 points and grabbed eight rebounds to pace Arkansas (11-8, 2-4 SEC) but the Gators (9-10, 1-5 SEC) dominated the third period, 18-7, for the win. Seven third period points ties the school record for fewest points in the third stanza.
Florida went on runs of 9-0, 7-0 and 10-0 to start each of the respective quarters and Arkansas struggled to come from behind. A renewed effort in the fourth quarter helped Arkansas cut the lead to nine but that would be as close as the Razorbacks would get.
The Gators lead the SEC in 3-point field goals per game and lived up to the billing hitting seven shots from beyond the arc. In addition, Florida’s size in the paint hurt Arkansas as the Razorbacks gave up 36 points inside and allowed 54 rebounds in the game.
• Malica Monk scored 20+ points eight times in her career – all this season.
• Malica Monk’s eight rebounds was one shy of tying her career high.
• Arkansas used just the third different starting lineup of the year with junior transfer Raven Northcross-Baker starting for an injured Devin Cosper.
• Arkansas was perfect from the line, but it was a season-low 4-for-4 effort.
• The Razorbacks forced 14 Florida turnovers and committed just eight in the game.
The Razorbacks play their next two games on the road traveling to No. 11 Missouri on Sunday and facing No. 10 South Carolina in the Gamecocks’ home gym on Thursday.
For more information about Arkansas women’s basketball, follow us on Twitter and Instagram at @RazorbackWBB and on Facebook at Facebook.com/RazorbackWBB. Be sure to subscribe to our YouTube Channel, “Kickin’ It In The Neighborhood” for an inside look at the Razorback women’s basketball program and check out The Neighborhood podcasts at CoachNeighbors.com.