Arkansas Advances To Second Round Of SEC Tournament
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The Arkansas men’s tennis team defeated Auburn in the first round of the Southeastern Conference Men’s Tennis Tournament, 4-1, Wednesday afternoon in Gainesville, Fla. The Hogs advance to play 17th-ranked Georgia tomorrow at 5 p.m. CT.
Arkansas jumped out to a 1-0 lead after a pair of 6-3 wins in doubles action on courts two and three. Enrique Paya and Maxim Verboven defeated Filippo Mora (AU) and Matteo Devincentis (AU) on court two, that was shortly followed by Alex Reco and Jose Dominguez Alonso’s win over Anders Fry (AU) and Diego Chavarria (AU).
The Razorbacks would gain a 2-0 advantage on court three as Alex Reco would defeat Filippo Mora (AU) in straight sets 6-1, 6-4. Likewise on court one, No. 66 Oscar Mesquida would win 6-1, 6-4 over Matteo Devincentis (AU) to put the Hogs within one court of victory.
Auburn would pull within 3-1, as Tad Maclean (AU) would take court two over Adam Sanjurjo 6-1, 6-0, but Enrique Paya would clinch the match on court four 6-3, 6-4 over Tim Dollman (AU) to send the Razorbacks to the second round of the SEC Tournament. First serve against Georgia is scheduled for 5 p.m. tomorrow.
For more information on Arkansas men’s tennis, including in-match updates, follow @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.
Doubles Results – Order of Finish (2,3)
1. Oscar Mesquida/Adam Sanjurjo (AR) vs. #48 Tad Maclean/Brandon Laubser (AUBURN) 4-5, unfinished
2. Maxim Verboven/Enrique Paya (AR) def. Filippo Mora/Matteo DeVincentis (AUBURN) 6-3
3. Alex Reco/Jose Alonso (AR) def. Anders Fry/Diego Chavarria (AUBURN) 6-3
Singles Results – Order of Finish (3,1,2,4)
1. #66 Oscar Mesquida (AR) def. Matteo DeVincentis (AUBURN) 6-1, 6-4
2. Tad Maclean (AUBURN) def. Adam Sanjurjo (AR) 6-4, 6-0
3. Alex Reco (AR) def. Filippo Mora (AUBURN) 6-1, 6-4
4. Enrique Paya (AR) def. Tim Dollman (AUBURN) 6-3, 6-4
5. Jose Alonso (AR) vs. Brandon Laubser (AUBURN) 6-7, 2-1, unfinished
6. Maxim Verboven (AR) vs. Diego Chavarria (AUBURN) 6-7 (3-7), 1-4, unfinished