Fernandez de Oliveira Honored by SEC
FAYETTEVILLE – Mateo Fernandez de Oliveira was named the SEC Golfer of the Week after his dominant win at the Hal Williams Collegiate. He shared the award with Rafe Reynolds (South Carolina) and Ricky Castillo (Florida).
In his win, Fernandez de Oliveira:
- Had rounds of 65-68-65 for a total of 198 (-15).
- Won the Hal Williams Collegiate for his second career collegiate win.
- Won by five strokes.
- Beat runner-up and #17 Tommy Kuhl (Illinois), also defeated #17 Adrien Dumont de Chassart (Illinois) who tied for 6th. There were five top 100 players in the 84-player field.
- He was in second place by one stroke after both rounds one (with a 65) and two (with a 68) before firing another 65 – the low round for Tuesday – to pull away for the win.
- His 54-hole total of 198 was his best by seven strokes and the second-best in school history behind Julian Perico’s 197.
- His 54-hole score of 15-under in relation to par was his best by seven strokes and second-best in school history behind Sebastian Cappelen’s -17.
- Also, his two 65’s this week tied his career-low, 18-hole rounds.
- He led the field with 18 birdies over his 54 holes.
- Helped Arkansas finish second – its best result of the year – while the team scores were among the best in school history. The 271 in the opening round ties for the seventh-best, 18-hole score, the 551 for the rounds one and two ties for the fourth-best, 36-hole score in a 54-hole event, the 829 total ties for the fourth-best, 54-hole total and the 23-under score in relation to par ties for the eighth-best, 54-hole score.
Arkansas returns to action Mar. 5-7 at its own Cabo Collegiate, played at the Twin Dolphin Club in Los Cabos, Mexico.
For more information on Arkansas Men’s Golf, follow @RazorbackMGolf on Twitter.