2020 HOGSPYs: Male Student-Athlete of the Year
The male student-athlete of the year award recognizes a standout sophomore, junior, or senior student-athlete who has demonstrated outstanding athletic achievement on the field of play. Must be a student-athlete who maintains a GPA of 2.5 of above.
This year’s nominees are:
Cameron Griffith (TF)
- SEC Indoor Runner of the Year.
- SEC Indoor – Cliff Harper Trophy, high-point scorer in meet.
- Won 3,000m, runner-up in mile, anchored silver medal distance medley relay.
- SEC Indoor – Won third consecutive title in 3,000m, only third person to accomplish in this event.
- Previously – Razorback Ryan Wilson (1996-98) and Tennessee’s Glenn Morgan (1988-90).
Mason Jones (MBB)
- Named All-America Honorable Mention, one of five finalists for the Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award, voted AP Co-SEC Player of the Year and had two votes for unanimous First Team All-SEC by AP. Also named SEC Player of the Week four times, one of three in league history to accomplish the feat.
- Ranked eighth in the NCAA in scoring and became the first Razorback to lead the SEC in scoring.
- Only player in the SEC to rank among the league’s top 20 in scoring (1st), rebounding (20th), assists (10th) and steals (6th).
- Had nine games where he scored at least 30 points, the most by an SEC player over the last 20 years.
Heston Kjerstad (BSB)
- Led Arkansas in seven offensive categories – batting average (.448), slugging percentage (.791), on-base percentage (.513), hits (30), homers (six), RBIs (20) and total bases (53).
- Recorded a hit in every game of the 2020 season, which featured two homers in two of the first three games of the year.
- SEC leader in hits (30), total bases (53), slugging percentage (.791), finishing second in batting average (.448).
Julian Perico (GOLF)
- Led Arkansas to the program’s first SEC Championship since 1995.
- Only Razorback to go 3-0 in match play. He was the top Razorback in the stroke play portion, finishing eighth. Perico finished sixth at the NCAA Austin Regional and qualified for the NCAA Championship.
- Led the team in scoring average in 2018-19 and 2019-20. In fact, his scoring average of 70.38 in 2019-20 set a school record.
Alex Reco (MTEN)
- Finished the season ranked No. 81 in the nation.
- Led the team with a 9-1 singles record during the spring. Held an undefeated 3-0 record against nationally ranked opponents.
- Was one of only two Razorbacks to go 2-0 to open SEC play against nationally-ranked Mississippi State and No. 14 Ole Miss.
Watch the video to find out this year’s winner.