Arkansas Heads North For Towson Invitational
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – After opening the spring with three events in a span of less than three weeks, the Arkansas men’s golf team will return from a 24-day break from tournament action on Saturday when it opens play at the Whiting-Turner Towson Invitational.
The two-day event will feature a field of 22 teams that will play 18 holes on Saturday and Sunday at Prospect Bay Country Club in Gransonville, Md. The par 71 course will measure 6,530 yards in length with tee times beginning at 9 a.m. CT on Saturday and 8 a.m. on Sunday.
Arkansas has put together a pair of top 5s in its first three spring events and more importantly collected a 27-12-1 head-to-head record. Led by the junior tandem of Taylor Moore and Kolton Crawford, the Razorbacks will sport the same lineup for the fourth straight event with redshirt sophomore Zach Coats, junior Nicolas Echavarria and freshman Alvaro Ortiz. Freshman Emil Soegaard will play the weekend as an individual.
Moore and Crawford have been the catalysts to Arkansas’ spring turnaround with one of the two finishing as the team low-man in the last eight rounds and all three tournaments. The duo has been at their best when it counts the most, combining to shoot eight-under par in the final round of the three spring events to help the Razorbacks shoot 285 or lower as a team each time.
A two-time SEC Golfer of the Week this spring, Moore has finished in the top 10 all three spring events and has shot 72 or lower in 15 consecutive rounds dating back to the fall. Currently ranked No. 44 by Golfweek and No. 50 by Golfstat, Moore leads Arkansas with a 71.4 stroke average and has finished even-par or lower in six of seven tournaments. Crawford’s five under-par rounds in the spring are one short of Moore’s team leading six, as he has a pair of top 5s and a SEC Golfer of the Week award to his credit.
Live scoring for the Whiting-Turner Towson Invitational can be found at www.BirdieFire.com.
@RazorbackMGolf Lineup (Stroke Average)
Taylor Moore, Jr. (71.4)
Kolton Crawford, R-Jr. (72.4)
Zach Coats, R-So. (74.6)
Nicolas Echavarria, Jr. (73.2)
Alvaro Ortiz, Fr. (72.9)
Emil Soegaard, Fr. (75.3) – Individual
@RazorbackMGolf Lineup Quick Nine
• Arkansas is currently ranked No. 35 by Golfweek and No. 36 by Golfstat.
• Arkansas has a team stroke average of 285.9 in the spring (3 events) after a 292.1 over its final three fall events.
• Arkansas has a 27-12-1 head-to-head record in the spring with two top 5s and two wins over top 10 teams.
• The Razorbacks own a 39-46-1 head-to-head record on the year and need to reach .500 to qualify for NCAA regionals.• Fourth straight event to open the spring with the same lineup.
• All five players in the starting lineup have a stroke average under 75.
• Moore and Crawford combined to collect three straight SEC Golfer of the Week awards earlier in the spring.
• Moore has a 69.9 stroke average in the spring with Crawford right behind at 70.8.
• Coats has a counting score in his last eight rounds with a 73.8 stroke average in the spring.
Whiting-Turner Towson Invitational Field
Hofstra Indiana University of Pennsylvania
Maryland Eastern Shore
Washington & Lee
William & Mary
Currently No. 68 in the FedEx Cup standings on the PGA Tour, David Lingmerth is coming off a top 15 performance at the Arnold Palmer Invitational and is playing the Valero Texas Open this weekend. On the Web.com Tour, Andrew Landry ranks third on the money list thanks to a win at the Cartagena de Indias at Karibana Championship and a top 20 last weekend at the Chile Classic. Tag Ridings is No. 75 on the Web.com Tour money list followed by Sebastian Cappelen and No. 80. Both Landry and Ridings are playing in this week’s Chitimacha Louisiana Open.