Razorbacks Round Out Day 1 at USTA/ITA Regionals
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark- The Arkansas men’s tennis team wrapped up it’s first day of play on Thursday at the USTA/ITA Regional Championships held at the Dills Billingsley Tennis Center in Fayetteville, Ark. Ten Razorbacks competed in Thursday’s singles round and five will continue to play Friday in the singles round of 32.
The doubles round of 64 and doubles round of 32 will begin play Friday, Oct. 16th at 9:00 a.m. The singles round of 32 will follow the doubles.
Austin Robles and Santiago Munoz won both singles matches and will be competing in the round of 32 Friday afternoon. Jose Salazar, Marco Micolani and Mike Redlicki all had byes in the singles round of 128 and all three beat their opponents to compete in the singles round of 32 Friday afternoon. Robles came back and had an incredible win over Matt Dunn of UNO 1-6, 6-2, 6-0 in the singles round of 64.
Johan den Toom and David Herrerias won their matches in the singles round of 128, but both fell to their opponents in the singles round of 64.
Singles Round of 128:
- Lukas Finzelberg (OSU) def. Juan Marino (ARK) 6-2, 6-0
- Austin Robles (ARK) def. Marc Santamaria (UMKC) 6-0, 6-4
- Santiago Munoz (ARK) def. Bradford Zitsch (NEB) 6-4, 7-6 (7)
- Johan den Toom (ARK) def. Jack Desse (SIUE) 6-0, 6-3
- Uldis Gaismins (UMKC) def. Jacob Herndon (ARK) 6-3, 6-2
- Herrmann (NEB) def. William Albanese (ARK) 6-0, 6-4
- David Herrerias (ARK) def. Colin Buckley (UNO) 7-5, 6-3
Singles Round of 64:
- Austin Robles (ARK) def. Matt Dunn (UNO)1-6, 6-2, 6-0
- Mike Redlicki (ARK) def. Emerson Styles (SDSU) 7-5, 7-6 (1)
- Santiago Munoz (ARK) def. Lefteris Theodorou (IA) 6-1, 6-3
- Marco Micolani (AKR) def. Daniel Santos (TU) 6-3, 7-5
- Sergio de Vilchez (WS) def. Johan den Toom (ARK) 3-6, 7-5, 7-6 (5)
- Dusty Boyer (NEB) def. David Herrerias (ARK) 6-2, 6-3
- Jose Salazar (ARK) def. Vinh Pham (UMKC) 6-0, 6-1
Friday Schedule of Play:
Doubles Round 64 followed by Doubles Round 32
Singles Round 32:
- Mike Redlicki vs. Vasileios Stravropolous(NEB)
- Austin Robles vs. Santiago Munoz
- Marco Micolani vs. Wilder Pimentel (SIUC)
- Jose Salazar vs. Jonny Rigby (SIUC)
Singles quarter finalist, doubles finalist and consolation champions will receive an automatic entry into the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships on Nov. 12-15, held at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, New York.
For more information on Arkansas men’s tennis, follow @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.