@RazorbackWTEN Upsets No. 25 LSU, 5-2
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The No. 46 Arkansas women’s tennis team picked up their 13th home victory and third conference win of the season as they upset No. 25 LSU, 5-2, at the Billingsley Tennis Center on Friday afternoon.
With the win the Razorbacks improve to 14-11 overall and 3-7 in conference play, while the Tigers fall to 15-8 on the season and 5-5 in SEC competition.
“We knew LSU was playing well coming in so we also knew we needed a great performance to have a chance today,” said head coach Michael Hegarty. “Very proud of the energy and effort especially getting down on five courts initially. Yuliya saving multiple match points in her second set seemed to shift the entire match in our direction. All across the board the competitiveness was great today.”
Arkansas got on the board first in doubles. The duo of Shannon Hudson and Yuliya Lysa downed No. 32 Joana Vale Costa and Noel Scott 8-5 at the No. 1 spot, while Flavia Araujo and Sasha Shkorupeieva defeated Skylar Holloway and Amanda Atanasson 8-2 at court three
Abby Owens captured the first point for LSU and the first singles point overall on court three with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Makenzie Craft.
No. 69 Skylar Kuykendall put LSU up 2-1 with her 6-2, 7-5 win over Shannon Hudson on court two.
Arkansas responded in a big way and never looked back, taking the next four courts to win the match. Skylar Holloway pushed court six to three sets but Flavia Araujo took the match at court six 7-5, 0-6, 6-3. Mia Jurasic and Yuliya Lysa both dropped the first set but picked up comeback victories. Lysa upset No. 39 Joana Vale Costa 4-6, 7-6 (6-4), 6-1 on court one and Jurasic defeated Ella Taylor 2-6, 6-1, 6-3 on court five.
Sasha Shkorupeieva was the final Razorback on court and won a hard-fought match over Noel Scott 7-6 (8-6), 7-6 (9-7). The sophomore improved to 13-8 overall and 3-5 in conference play for the year.
Arkansas will return to action on Sunday, April 5, as the Razorbacks host No. 11 Texas A&M in the final home match of the 2015 spring season. First serve is set for 12:00 p.m. CT.
#46 Arkansas 5, #25 LSU 2
April 3, 2015 at Fayetteville, Ark.
(Billingsley Tennis Center)
1. Yuliya Lysa (ARKW) def. #39 Joana Vale Costa (LSU) 4-6, 7-6 (6-4), 6-1
2. #69 Skylar Kuykendall (LSU) def. Shannon Hudson (ARKW) 6-2, 7-5
3. Abigail Owens (LSU) def. Makenzie Craft (ARKW) 6-3 , 6-3
4. Sasha Shkorupeieva (ARKW) def. Noel Scott (LSU) 7-6 (8-6), 7-6 (9-7)
5. Mia Jurasic (ARKW) def. Ella Taylor (LSU) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
6. Flavia Araujo (ARKW) def. Skylar Holloway (LSU) 7-5, 0-6, 6-3
1. Shannon Hudson/Yuliya Lysa (ARKW) def. #32 Joana Vale Costa/Noel Scott (LSU) 8-5
2. #66 Skylar Kuykendall/Abigail Owens (LSU) def. Makenzie Craft/Nicole Breaux (ARKW) 8-4
3. Flavia Araujo/Sasha Shkorupeieva (ARKW) def. Skylar Holloway/Amanda Atanasson (LSU) 8-2
LSU 15-8, 5-5 SEC; National ranking #25
Arkansas 14-11, 3-7 SEC; National ranking #46
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,2,6,1,5,4)
For more information on Arkansas women’s tennis, follow @RazorbackWTEN on Twitter.