BA Earns SEC Props
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Behind a 33-for-45 performance with 442 yards and a program record six touchdowns in an overtime win at No. 19 Ole Miss, Arkansas senior quarterback Brandon Allen has been named the SEC Offensive Player of the Week, announced by the league office on Monday.
Allen’s performance will go down as one of the most statistically-impressive games by a quarterback in Arkansas history, as his six touchdowns were not only a program record but tied for the most by an FBS quarterback this season and are tied for the second-most by an SEC player in a conference contest. His record-breaking touchdown in overtime followed a pair of fourth quarter TDs, highlighted by one with 53 seconds left that tied the game.
Lost in the frenzy of Allen’s passing stats is the game-winning final play where he took a designed run in the endzone for the two-point conversion while absorbing a crushing hit for the thrilling 53-52 win. It marked Arkansas’ second straight win in overtime and the first time in 99 years that the Razorbacks have scored 50-plus points in three straight games.
Making his 30th consecutive start under center, Allen’s 33 completions were also a program record while his 442 yards were the second-most in Arkansas history. The Fayetteville product opened the game by completing his first nine passes and followed with streaks of seven and six consecutive completions through the course of the game.
Top 10 BA Notes You Need To Know
1. Ranks ninth in the nation and leads the SEC in quarterback efficiency at 164.7.
2. One of six FBS quarterbacks with 20-plus touchdowns and five or less interceptions … also accomplished the feat in 2014 to bring his two-year total (2014, 15) to 41 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.
3. In Arkansas’ last 10 quarters and five overtime periods, Allen is 59-of-81 for 825 yards, 10 touchdowns and no interceptions.
4. Owns the top two passing performances (yards) in the SEC this season and is just the second player in Arkansas history with two 400-yard passing games in the same season.
5. Ranks in the top three in the SEC in yards per attempt (9.24/1st), passing yards (2,476/2nd), passing touchdowns (21/2nd) and completion percentage (.649/3rd).
6. One of three FBS quarterbacks to throw six touchdowns and no interceptions in a game this season.
7. Led Arkansas to points in 15 of his last 20 possessions under center, including 14 touchdowns, and no three-and-outs in his last 23 possessions.
8. Leads the nation with three touchdown passes in overtime this season, all of which have been thrown to Drew Morgan.
9. In the fourth quarter and overtime of the last two SEC wins against Auburn and at Ole Miss, Allen is 20-of-30 for 238 yards, five touchdowns and no interceptions.
10. Sits just eight touchdown passes away from breaking Ryan Mallett’s program record for career touchdowns of 62.
Allen is the fourth different Razorback to be lauded with a weekly award from the SEC this season and the third in as many weeks. Seniors Sebastian Tretola and Mitch Smother have earned SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week praise while linebacker Dre Greenlaw was named the SEC Freshman of the Week.
Riding a three-game win streak, Arkansas and No. 9 LSU’s Battle for the Golden Boot on Saturday, Nov. 14, will kick-off at 6:15 p.m. CT. The game will be nationally televised on ESPN.