No. 23 Arkansas Hosts Vanderbilt In SEC Home Opener
AT A GLANCE
Coming off its first victory in an SEC road opener since 2008, No. 23/25 Arkansas carries a six-game win streak into its SEC home opener on Saturday against Vanderbilt. The Razorbacks defeated Georgia 79-75 on the opening night of SEC play while the Commodores earned a double figure win over Auburn to push their win streak to four games.
• Arkansas returned to the Associated Press Top 25 on Monday at No. 23. The Razorbacks started SEC play ranked for the first time since 1999.
• With their win at Georgia on Tuesday, the Razorbacks moved to No. 18 in the ESPN RPI and have three wins over the RPI top 40 (Dayton -16, at Georgia – 28, at SMU – 40).
• Owning an 8-0 record when reaching 80 points, including seven of nine home games, Arkansas is the only team in the SEC to score at least 65 points in every game.
• Arkansas is one of four teams in the top 10 nationally in scoring (8th) and assists (T-3rd).
Arkansas has had three six-game win streaks since Feb. 15 of last season, going 19-5 over that span.
|No. 23 Arkansas (12-2, 1-0) vs Vanderbilt (11-3. 1-0)|
DATE | TIME
|Saturday, January 10, 2015 | 3:30 P.M. CT|
SITE | ARENA
|Fayetteville, Ark.| Bud Walton Arena (19,200)|
TV | VIDEO
|Dave Neal (PBP), Darrin Horn (Analyst)|
|Razorback/IMG Sports Network|
|Chuck Barrett (P-B-P) & Scotty Thurman (Analyst)|
|Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
|#Fastest40 | #WeHogs|
SEC HOME OPENERS
|@Tennessee (Jan. 13) – ESPNU|
@RAZORBACKMBB FAST BREAK FACTS
• One of four teams (BYU, Davidson, Ohio State) nationally in the top 10 in scoring (8th) and assists (T-3rd).
• First 12-2 start since 2008-09.
• Six-game win streak is the third of its kind since Feb. 15 of last season.
• Own a 15-game home win streak and are 60-6 all-time at Bud Walton Arena under head coach MIKE ANDERSON.
• Snapped a six-game losing streak in SEC road openers with a win at Georgia on Tuesday.
• With a win, Arkansas would be 13-2 for the first time since 2004-05 and 2-0 in SEC play for the first time since the 2007-08 campaign.
• Won four of its last six SEC regular season road games.
• Own a 10-0 record when forcing 15+ turnovers and 8-0 mark when scoring 80+ points.
• Won 20 straight games when leading at the half with the last loss coming at Georgia on Jan. 15, 2014.
• Completed third unbeaten home non-conference schedule at Bud Walton Arena under coach Anderson.
• Lead the SEC in scoring (84.1), three-pointers per game (7.6) three-point percentage (.391) and assists (18.4).
• Only SEC team to score at least 65 points in every game.
Head Coach: Mike Anderson (Tulsa ‘82)
Record at Arkansas: 71-41 (4th Season)
Overall Record: 271-139 (13th Season)
Vs. Vanderbilt: 4-3
Head Coach: Kevin Stallings (Purdue ‘82)
Record at Vanderbilt: 303-195 (16th Season)
Overall Record: 426-258 (22nd Season)
Vs. Arkansas: 6-13
MICHAEL QUALLS’ three-pointer from the left corner with 2.6 seconds left gave Arkansas a dramatic 77-75 win at Vanderbilt last season. The game featured six ties and 14 lead changes with Qualls providing the last one of the game. For the first time ever, Arkansas wore anthracite uniforms on the road.
STARTING 5 QUICK 5 HITS
#00 | Rashad MADDEN (G)
• Only player in the nation averaging at least five assists (5.4) in under 25 minutes.
• Has 5+ assists in 10 games compared to nine times over first three seasons.
• Second in the SEC in assists (5.2) and sixth in assist/turnover ratio (2.2).
• Has led Arkansas is assists 11 times
• Hit 9-of-17 from three-point range the last four games.
#04 | Jabril DURHAM (G)
• Arkansas is 6-0 in games he has started.
• Hasn’t committed a turnover in his last 94 minutes on the floor.
• Second on the team with 33 assists with a 3.7 assist/turnover ratio.
• Went 3-for-3 from three-point range in the win over Dayton.
• Has led the team in assists three times.
#24 | Michael QUALLS (G)
• Second on the team and eighth in the SEC in scoring (15.5).
• Career-high 28 points against Northwestern State is tied for the most in the SEC.
• Went for 20 points in last year’s home win over Georgia.
• Tied for second in the SEC with five 20-point games.
• Tied for the team lead with 15 dunks along with Portis.
#10 | Bobby PORTIS (F)
• Only player in the SEC in the top 5 in scoring, rebounding and field goal percentage.
• Opened SEC play with 21 points at Georgia, including 15 in the first half.
• Has reached double figures in 17 of the last 18 contests, including nine straight.
• Averaging 17.1 points and 7.6 rebounds.
• Wooden Award Preseason Top 50 & a candidate for the Oscar Robertson Trophy.
#33 | Moses KINGSLEY (F)
• Started the last two games – first two starts of his career.
• Made first career start against Utah Valley, going for 10 points.
• Tied for the team lead with 14 blocks.
• Has grabbed 4+ offensive rebounds three times and is second with 25.
• Two double figure games equals his season total from 2013-14.
Either junior MICHAEL QUALLS or sophomore BOBBY PORTIS has been Arkansas’ top scorer in 12 of 14 games this season, combining for 30+ points nine times (8-1), highlighted by 50 points against Northwestern State. Both have finished in double figures 11 times while combining for 10 of the team’s 12 20-point games. One of the two has reached the 20-point plateau in nine games, while they are just one of two duos in the SEC to both rank in the top 10 in scoring. Qualls and Portis don’t just get it done on the offensive end, as they rank one and two on the team in rebounding, leading the way on the glass 12 times. Below is a look at the top scoring duos in the SEC.
Program PPG Mins Per
Jarell Martin & Jordan Mickey LSU 34.5 67.4
Bobby Portis & Michael Qualls Arkansas 32.6 56.8
KT Harrell & Cinmeon Bowers Auburn 30.4 61.4
Damian Jones & Riley LaChance Vanderbilt 29.3 60.8
Levi Randolph & Ricky Tarrant Alabama 28.9 58.8