Arkansas Knocks Off Ole Miss On Senior Day
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Led by its lone senior in 25th-ranked Jose Salazar, the Arkansas men’s tennis team defeated the Ole Miss Rebels on Senior Day 4-3.
In doubles, Arkansas (13-13, 4-8 SEC) started off with the advantage, as No. 65 Oscar Mesquida and Adam Sanjurjo defeated No. 46 Grey Hamilton and Tim Sandkaulen 6-1 at the top doubles spot. Ole Miss proceeded to take the other two courts to clinch the doubles point and give the Rebels the 1-0 lead.
Arkansas would respond in singles, recording three straight two-set wins to take a 3-1 lead. Freshman Josh Howard-Tripp quickly closed out Hamilton 6-2, 6-4, before Salazar defeated No. 30 Sandkaulen 6-3, 6-3 to put Arkansas up 2-1. Salazar improves to a team-best 17-6 mark this spring, including an 8-4 record against ranked competition. The Tenerife, Spain, native has won eight of his last nine matches, including six of the last seven against ranked opponents.
Arkansas would get out to a 3-1 lead with a win at the No. 2 spot by Mesquida, who took down Filip Krajevic 7-6 (7-2), 6-2. The Razorbacks clinched the win with a three-set victory by Pedro Alonso on court 5 over Finn Reynolds, defeating the Rebel 6-3, 4-6, 6-1.
Following the clinch, Ole Miss was able to get two courts back. Fabian Fallert defeated Sanjurjo in two sets that both went to tiebreakers, as Fallert won 7-6 (7-2), 7-6 (7-5). On the final court, Jose Alonso fell to Cotter Wilson 6-3, 3-6, 6-4.
Arkansas will await its seeding in the SEC Tournament that begins on Wednesday, April 25 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
Arkansas 4, Ole Miss 3
Singles Results – Order of finish (4,1,2,5,3,6)
1. #25 Jose Salazar (AR) def. #30 Tim Sandkaulen (OM) 6-3, 6-3
2. Oscar Mesquida (AR) def. Filip Kraljevic (OM) 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
3. Fabian Fallert (OM) def. Adam Sanjurjo (AR) 7-6 (7-2), 7-6 (7-5)
4. Josh Howard-Tripp (AR) def. Grey Hamilton (OM) 6-2, 6-4
5. Pedro Alonso (AR) def. Finn Reynolds (OM) 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
6. Cotter Wilson (OM) def. Jose Alonso (AR) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
Doubles Results – Order of finish (1,3,2)
1. #65 Oscar Mesquida/Adam Sanjurjo (AR) def. #46 Grey Hamilton/Tim Sandkaulen (OM) 6-1
2. Filip Kraljevic/Zvonimir Babic (OM) def. Jose Salazar/Pedro Alonso (AR) 7-5
3. Finn Reynolds/Fabian Fallert (OM) def. Josh Howard-Tripp/Jose Alonso (AR) 6-3
For more information on Razorback men’s tennis, please follow @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.