Lady'Backs improve to 2-0 after impressive win over Utah
SALT LAKE CITY—A sweep in doubles and an 8-1 record on the day, including three consecutive singles wins in straight sets, vaulted 53RD ranked University of Arkansas Lady Razorbacks in an overwhelming, 6-1, defeat of the Utah Utes.
“We made great strides this weekend, and I believe the final score of today’s match proves that,” said Arkansas head coach Michael Hegarty. Picking up two wins against great opponents on the road and at altitude will definitely serve us well in upcoming matches.”
Maryori Franco and Nanar Airapetian pushed the Lady’Backs in the right direction with an, 8-2, toppling of Evgenia Kryuchova and Karine Bourdages to begin the day. Then, Audrey Bordeleau and Anouk Tigu won their second doubles match of the season by taking down Andrea Maughan and Erin Monson, 8-3, clinching the doubles point for Arkansas. The No. 12 ranked duo of juniors Aurelija Miseviciute and Ela Kaluder kept the Lady’Backs undefeated in doubles on the day by defeating Elizabeth Ferris and Leigh Walsh, 8-4, for their first victory of the season.
Franco started the spark of four Lady’Backs who won in straight sets at the match by tackling Monson, 6-1, 7-5, earning Arkansas’ second point.
Freshman Delia Damaschin earned her first career spring win as a Lady’Back after a, 7-5, 7-5, victory over Walsh, putting Arkansas ahead, 3-0.
The Lady’Backs clinched the match when Kaluder cruised past Kryuchova, 6-4, 6-4, pushing Arkansas’ record to 2-0 on the season.
Airapetian continued dominance for the Lady’Backs on the day with a stellar win over Maughan, 6-4, 6-3. Bordeleau would not relinquish her match against fellow Quebec, Canada native, Bourdages, in a, 6-0, 3-6, 10-5, super tiebreaker triumph.
Arkansas lone loss on the day came when Ferris upset No. 1 ranked Aurelija Miseviciute, 6-2, 3-6, 7-5.
Losing their season opener drops the Utes to 0-1 on the season.
After playing the first two matches of the season on the road, Arkansas will be back in Fayetteville on Jan. 26 when they host Missouri at the newly reconstructed Dills Indoor Tennis Facility.
No. 53 Arkansas-6
1. Elizabeth Ferris (Utah) def. #1 Aurelija Miseviciute (Ark), 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
2. Ela Kaluder (Ark) def. Evgenia Kryuchova (Utah), 6-4, 6-4
3. Maryori Franco (Ark) def. Erin Monson (Utah), 6-1, 7-5
4. Delia Damaschin (Ark) def. Leigh Walsh (Utah); 7-5, 7-5
5. Nanar Airapetian (Ark.) def. Andrea Maughan (Utah); 6-4, 6-3
6. Audrey Bordeleau (Ark.) def. Karine Bourdages (Utah); 6-0, 3-6 (10-5)
1. #12 Ela Kaluder/Aurelija Miseuiciute (Ark.) def. Elizabeth Ferris/Leigh Walsh (Utah); 8-4
2. #44 Nanar Airapetian/Maryori Franco (Ark.) def. Evgenia Kryuchkova/Karine Bourdages (Utah); 8-3
3. Audrey Bordeleau/ Anouk Tigu (Ark.) def. Erin Monson/Andrea Maughan (Utah); 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1) Singles (3,4,2,1,5,6)