Miseviciute moves in on record as Florida downs Lady'Backs 5-2.
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Junior Aurelija Miseviciute earned her 42nd win of the season to put her in a tie for the second most wins in a season in Arkansas history as the 13th-ranked University of Arkansas Lady Razorbacks lost to 4th-ranked Florida, 5-2, in Southeastern Conference action on Friday.
Ranked No. 1 in the nation, Miseviciute overtook No. 36 Julia Cohen, 7-6(1), 6-1, to tie Trisha Shaw’s 42 wins back in 1981. She is now only two wins away from tying Lori Zacharias’ 44 wins for the most ever in a season, also being set in 1981.
The Gators (13-1, 7-0 in SEC) jumped out to an early, 1-0, lead capturing the doubles point while also ending a streak which saw the Lady’Backs (12-6, 5-2 in SEC) claim nine-consecutive doubles points.
“I thought we fought really well and gave ourselves a chance to win,” said Lady’Back head coach Michael Hegarty. “However, losing the doubles point dug us too deep of a hole.”
Florida earned a two-point cushion as No. 93 Anastasia Revzina defeated Nanar Airapetian, 6-1, 6-2. The Gators continued to mark down wins by triumphing on Courts 4 and 6 to clinch the match. Whitney Benik topped Maryori Franco, 6-3, 6-3, and Lolita Frangulyan captured the clinching match against Audrey Boredeleau, 6-4, 6-3.
The Lady’Backs picked up their first victory of the day when the recent winner of SEC Player of the Week, No. 122 Ela Kaluder, upset Csilla Borsanyi, 6-3, 6-3. The win put Kaluder’s conference record at 6-1, tied for the team lead in conference victories with Miseviciute.
The match closed out when No. 117 Megan Alexander prevailed over Anouk Tigu, 6-7(7), 6-2, 1-0, with a 10-8 victory in the super-tiebreaker.
The Gators may have claimed a three-point victory, but the Lady’Backs battled hard and it could have possibly gone either way.
“It was a great atmosphere tonight,” Hegarty said. “We definitely had our chances to make this match much closer.”
Arkansas Lady’Back tennis will be back in SEC action on Sunday at South Carolina. For immediate results following Sunday’s match visit LADYBACKS.COM.
1. #8 Megan Alexander/Marrit Boonstra (UF) def. #32 Aurelija Miseciviute/Ela Kaluder, (UA), 8-3
2. Whitney Benik/Csilla Borsanyi, (UF) def Maryori Franco/Nanar Airapetian (UA), 8-6
3. #44 Julia Cohen/Anastasia Revzina UF def #50Audrey Bordeleau/Anouk Tigu (UA) 9-7.
Match Notes: (Order of Finsh: 1,3*2)
1. #1 Aurelija Miseciviute (UA) def. #36 Julia Cohen (UF) 7-6 (1), 6-1
2. #122 Ela Kaluder (UA) def #28 Csilla Borsanyi (UF) 6-3, 6-3
3. #117 Megan Alexander (UF) def Anouk Tigu (UA) 6-7 (7), 6-2, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Whitney Benik (UF) def Maryori Franco (UA) 6-3, 6-3
5. #93 Anastasia Revzina (UF) def Nanar Airapetian (UA) 6-1, 6-2
6. Lolita Frangulyan (UF) def Audrey Bordeleau (UA) 6-4, 6-3
Match Notes: (Order of Finish: 5,4,6*,2,1,3)