No. 26 Lady'Backs settle down Ragin Cajuns' 6-1
FAYETTEVILLE – Junior Ela Kaluder led an incredible team effort as 26th-ranked University of Arkansas Lady Razorbacks overpowered Louisiana-Lafayette, 6-1, on Thursday at the Dills Indoor Tennis Center.
With the Lady’Backs already ahead 3-0, Kaluder found herself with a chance to clinch the match on Court 2. She did not disappoint in a straight set win over ULL’s Kim Van Der Host, 6-1, 6-2.
“I am very happy and proud of our team for coming out and fighting hard after a great week of practice,” said Kaluder. “Clinching the match for my team felt great.”
Arkansas, 6-4, started the day in superior fashion with a clean sweep in doubles.
“Lafayette brought a solid team here and gave us a tough match-up,” said Arkansas head coach Michael Hegarty. “Sweeping doubles was the catalyst for us today as they continued the solid play we have seen all season.”
On Court 2 in doubles, 59th-ranked duo of Maryori Franco and Nanar Airapetian could not be dealt with in an 8-1 victory over Mia Gordon and Van Der Host. Audrey Bordeleau and Anouk Tigu earned the doubles point for Arkansas, 8-4, dropping Marina Ruiz De Guana and Angela Dangond. On Court 1, No. 23 Aurelija Miseviciute and Ela Kaluder finished off the sweep by crushing Julie Mazinova and Myrthe Molenveld, 8-3.
The Lady’Backs won five of six singles match, all in straight sets with only one going to a seventh game.
Arkansas’ second point came when Airapetian flat-out hammered Gordon on Court 6, 6-0, 6-0, putting her team’s lead at 2-0. Miseviciute, ranked No. 2 overall in singles, made quick work of Mazinova, 6-0, 6-2, setting up the clincher for Kaluder.
In the midst of Arkansas clinching their sixth win of the season and second in a row, Maryori Franco dropped Bridgett Marovich, 6-2, 7-5, pushing the Lady’Backs lead to 5-0.
Freshman Delia Damaschin would not be left out of the dominating day for the Lady’Backs as she slugged out Dangond, 6-4, 6-4, for Arkansas’ eighth straight match win of the day.
The loss dropped the Ragin Cajuns’ of ULL to 6-2 on the season.
Lady’Back tennis will head to Tulsa on Sunday, Feb. 24 to take on the
40th-ranked University of Tulsa.
For game stories, bios, and results on the Lady’Back tennis team go to LADYBACKS.COM.
1. #2 Aurelija Miseviciute (UA) def. Julie Mazinova (ULL) 6-0, 6-2.
2. Ela Kaluder (UA) def. Kim Van Der Host (ULL) 6-1, 6-2.
3. Myrthe Molenveld (ULL) def. #61 Anouk Tigu (UA) 7-5, 6-3.
4. Delia Damaschin (UA) def. Angela Dangond (ULL) 6-4, 6-4.
5. Maryori Franco (UA) def. Bridgett Marovich (ULL) 6-2, 7-5.
6. Nanar Airapetian (UA) def. Mia Gordon (ULL) 6-0, 6-0.
Match Notes: (Order of Finish: 6,1,2*,5,4,3)
1. #23 Aurelija Miseviciute/Ela Kaluder (UA) def. Julie Mazinova/Myrthe Molenveld (ULL), 8-3.
2. #59 Maryori Franco/Nanar Airapetian (UA) def. Mia Gordon/Kim Van Der Host (ULL), 8-1.
3. Audrey Bordeleau/Anouk Tigu (UA) def. Marina Ruiz De Gauna/Angela Dangond (ULL), 8-4.
Match Notes: (Order of Finsh: 2,3*,1)