Razorback MGolf Inks Three
FAYETTEVILLE – University of Arkansas head men’s golf coach Brad McMakin announced Thomas Curry (Texarkana, Ark.), Rex Hargrove (Houston, Texas) and John Driscoll II (Northwestern University) have signed National Letters of Intent and are set to join the Razorbacks for the 2023-24 season.
Texarkana, Ark. (Texas HS)
– Played in the 2022 U.S. Junior Amateur Championship after winning the qualifier with a six-under-par 66
– Won the 2022 Arkansas Junior Amateur
– Placed eighth at the 2022 Byron Nelson Junior Championship
– Led Texas HS to the UIL Class 5A State Championships in 2021 (4th) and 2022 (7th) … Individually, finished among the top 20 each year
– In 2022, won medalist honors at the Twisted 54 golf tournament, setting tournament course records in the process with rounds of 65-61-61 for a 14-under-par score of 196
– Was the 2022 District 15-5A medalist (65-73) and was the 2021 Region 2-5A champion (71-71)
– In 2021, finished 33rd at the W.E. Cotton States Amateur and added three top-5 finishes at national Junior events, including a win at the AJGA Shreveport Junior (34-68-70), a runner-up at the National High School Golf Association National Invitational at Pinehurst (73-68-68) and a fourth-place finish at the Bass Pro Shops/Payne Stewart Junior Championship (68-69-73)
– 1 of 3 finalists for the 2022 VYPE Houston Public Schools Golfer of the Year
– Won his 2022 Region 3-6A Championship (70-77) and was runner-up at his 2022 District 17-6A (72-67)
– Was the 2021 District 17-6A Champion
– Led Cypress Creek to back-to-back Texas UIL 6A State Championship berths, finishing 12th in 2021 (for the school’s first state finals berth since 1981) and 10th in 2022
– Individually, Hargrove was 13th (76-69) at the 2022 state championship
– Placed fourth at the 2021 AJGA Jack Burke Junior Invitational (65-76-69)
John Driscoll III
Lake Mary (Fla.) Prep || Northwestern Univ.
Will enroll as a graduate senior at Arkansas in the fall of 2023 … Currently a senior on the Northwestern golf team … Rank of 239 (as of Nov 7, 2022) in the WAGR … A three-year member of Northwestern’s Student Athlete Advisory Committee … Majoring in Economics and is scheduled to graduate in the spring of 2023.
2022-23 (Sr.): Played in all five fall events and had a 72.13 scoring average … Had two top 15 finishes … Finished eighth at the Windon Memorial (71-73-66) with an even-par 210 … Also shot a final round 66 at the Quail Valley Collegiate to tie for 14th (72-70-66) for a career-low, 8-under par (208).
2021-22 (Jr.): Played in seven events and posted a 72.53 season scoring average … Fired a season-low 66 in the opening round at the Windon Memorial … Tied for 14th at the Hampton Intercollegiate (75-71-73).
2020-21 (So.): Named second team All-Big Ten and earned Spring Academic Big Ten honors… Also earned Srixon/Cleveland Golf All-America Scholar honors by the GCAA … Had two top-five finishes including runner-up at the Robert Kepler Intercollegiate and T-4th the Boilermaker Invitational … Added Big Ten Golfer of the Week honors for his play at the Kepler where he posted a 1-under-par 212 (71-71-70) … Was 2-0 at the Big Ten Match Play to begin the season … Took sixth at the Big Ten Championship.
2019-20 (Fr.): Carded a 66 at the Marquette Intercollegiate, his second-best round in tournament history to propel him to first career top-20 finish (T-17)) … Posted a career best 65 score in the final round of The Prestige en route to a T-14 finish (73-72-56=210 / -3) … Defeated Tom Westernberger from Nebraska, 5&4, to help Northwestern advance to the championship round in Big Ten Match Play … Overall, went 1-2-1 at the Big Ten Match Play.
High School: No. 4 ranked 2019 junior in Florida by Junior Golf Scoreboard … Seven Top 10 AJGA finishes 2017 …3rd place at the Florida Azalea Amateur … 2017 Seminole County Florida Golfer of the Year … 2018-AJGA Transamerica Scholastic Honor Roll All-America Team … Two-time FHSAA High School District Champion (2017, 2018) … 2018 FHSAA High School Regional Champion … 2016 New Jersey State Junior Championship (at Don Bosco Prep HS) … Won the 2014 New Jersey State Boys Championship as an eighth grader (youngest in state history).