@RazorbackMTEN Drops 4-0 Decision to No. 8 Georgia
ATHENS, Ga. – The University of Arkansas men’s tennis team was defeated 4-0 by No. 8 Georgia at the Dan Magill Tennis center on Thursday afternoon.
With the loss the Razorbacks fell to 11-14 overall, 1-10 in the SEC, while the Bulldogs improved to 18-3 overall and 10-1 in conference play.
Georgia took control early as it won matches on courts one and two to claim the doubles point. Battling in the No. 3 position, the Razorback duo made of sophomore Johan den Toom and junior William Albanese was tied, 6-6, with Nathan Pasha and Nick Wood when doubles play was called.
Carrying momentum into singles, the Bulldogs quickly collected straight-set victories on courts one and two. Despite being down 3-0, Arkansas continued to fight. Juan Marino came back from a 6-3 loss in his first set to post a convincing 6-1 second set win over Peter Bertran in the No. 6 spot. The sophomore was down 3-0 in his third set when play was called. Junior Santiago Munoz also played a close match. Competing against No. 25 Pasha in the No. 3 spot, Munoz lost 7-5 in his first set and was playing a heated tiebreaker in his second at the conclusion of play.
Arkansas hits the road again this weekend. In their final regular season match, the Razorbacks will face off against the South Carolina Gamecocks in Columbia, South Carolina at 10 a.m., CT on Saturday.
Arkansas vs Georgia
April 9, 2015 at Athens, Ga.
(Dan Magill Tennis Complex)
#8 Georgia 4, #71 Arkansas 0
1. #1 Austin Smith/Ben Wagland (UGA) def. Santiago Munoz/Branch Terrell (ARK) 6-1
2. Wayne Montgomery/Paul Oosterbaan (UGA) def. Jovan Parlic/Giammarco Micolani (ARK) 6-4
3. Nathan Pasha/Nick Wood (UGA) vs. Johan den Toom/William Albanese (ARK) 6-6 (2-1), unfinished
1. #34 Austin Smith (UGA) def. #93 Giammarco Micolani (ARK) 6-1, 6-4
2. #27 Wayne Montgomery (UGA) def. William Albanese (ARK) 6-1, 6-2
3. #25 Nathan Pasha (UGA) vs. Santiago Munoz (ARK) 7-5, 6-6 (1-4), unfinished
4. Ben Wagland (UGA) vs. Jovan Parlic (ARK) 6-4, 5-5, unfinished
5. Paul Oosterbaan (UGA) def. Johan den Toom (ARK) 6-3, 6-4
6. Peter Bertran (UGA) vs. Juan Marino (ARK) 6-3, 1-6, 3-0, unfinished
Arkansas 11-14 (1-10); National ranking #71
Georgia 18-3 (10-1); National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (2,1,5)
For more information on Arkansas men’s tennis, follow @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.