@RazorbackMTEN Edged By Tulsa 4-3
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Despite battling through tiebreaks to win the doubles point, the University of Arkansas men’s tennis team was defeated 4-3 by Tulsa on Thursday.
With the loss, the Razorbacks fell to 5-4 overall, while the Golden Hurricane improved to 8-4.
In an exciting round of doubles in which each match went to a tiebreak, Arkansas came away victorious. Playing in the No. 3 spot, sophomore Johan den Toom and junior William Albanese teamed up to defeat Or Ram-Harel and Juan Matias Gonzalez 7-6 (7-5). Taking the point for the Razorbacks was the duo of junior Giammarco Micolani and senior Jovan Parlic who beat Dylan McCloskey and Matthew Kirby 7-6 (7-4) in the No. 2 position.
Netting the first Arkansas singles win of the day was Micolani. The Lecce, Italy native bettered Juan Matias Gonzalez 7-5, 6-4 in the No. 1 spot. In the final match played, freshman David Herrerias fought through three sets in the No. 6 position to beat Carlos Bautista 6-4, 3-6, 7-5.
Junior Santiago Munoz was also pushed to three sets, but ultimately fell to Mitchell Pritchard 4-6, 6-1, 6-3 in the No. 5 spot.
Arkansas will continue with its three home match week when it faces Jackson State in a doubleheader starting at 10 a.m., CT on Sunday.
Arkansas vs. Tulsa
Feb. 12, 2015 at Fayetteville, Ark.
(Dills Indoor Tennis Center)
Tulsa 4, Arkansas 3
1. Carlos Bautista/Alejandro Espejo (TULSA) def. Santiago Munoz/Branch Terrell (ARK) 7-6 (7-1)
2. Giammarco Micolani/Jovan Parlic (ARK) def. Dylan McCloskey/Matthew Kirby (TULSA) 7-6 (7-4)
3. Johan den Toom/William Albanese (ARK) def. Or Ram-Harel/Juan Matias Gonzalez (TULSA) 7-6 (7-5)
1. Giammarco Micolani (ARK) def. Juan Matias Gonzalez (TULSA) 7-5, 6-4
2. Or Ram-Harel (TULSA) def. Jovan Parlic (ARK) 6-1, 6-2
3. Alejandro Espejo (TULSA) def. Johan den Toom (ARK) 6-2, 7-6 (4-7)
4. Matthew Kirby (TULSA) def. William Albanese (ARK) 6-4, 6-4
5. Mitchell Pritchard (TULSA) def. Santiago Munoz (ARK) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
6. David Herrerias (ARK) def. Carlos Bautista (TULSA) 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
Tulsa 7-4; National ranking #40
Arkansas 5-3; National ranking #56
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,4,3,1,5,6)
For more information on Arkansas men’s tennis, follow @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.