Razorbacks Wrap Fall Schedule; Finish 3rd
PARADISE ISLAND, The Bahamas – The 22nd-ranked Arkansas men’s golf team wrapped up the fall portion of its 2019-20 schedule by firing the best round of the day – as well as one of the best in school history – and placing third of 14 teams at the White Sands Invitational, played at the Ocean Club Golf Course (par 72, 7,159 yards).
Not only did the Razorbacks place third – their fourth top-3 finish in five fall events this season – the team finished ahead of the nation’s top-ranked team – Wake Forest – and the second-ranked SMU Mustangs.
“I am really proud of the effort all five guys gave this week,” said head coach Brad McMakin. “We finished the fall on a positive note, beating the two top-ranked teams in the nation. We look forward to the next few months as we prepare for the spring.”
Arkansas carded a 13-under-par 275 in the final round and finished with a 54-hole score of 842 (-22). The 13-under ties for fifth on the program’s best round in relation to par all time. The three-round score of 22-under par ranks ninth on the school’s all-time list while the total of 842 ties for 12th on the program’s all-time list.
Host and 39th-rnkaed Houston won with a score of 833 (-31), followed by Florida State 840 (-24), #22 Arkansas 842 (-22), #1 Wake Forest 843 (-21), #46 UAB 844 (-20), Miami (OH) 850 (-14), #2 SMU 852 (-12) and Illinois State (852 (-12).
Mason Overstreet 72-76-66=213 (-3) / T25:
- led the Razorbacks on Sunday, shooting a 66 for the third time this fall – all three coming in the final round.
- shot a bogey-free round to climb 33 spots on the leaderboard.
- opened his final round with a birdie on hole 9, got to -3 with an eagle on 13 and finished with birdies o holes 1,2 and 6.
#94 Julian Perico 67-68-70=206 (-10) / T4:
- was the top-finishing Razorback for the third time in five fall events.
- defeated nine players in the field ranked among the nation’s top 100.
- opened his final round with birdies on his first two holes (7 and 8). Dropped a shot on the par-4 9th but reeled off five birdies over a six-hole span (holes 11-16) to get to -6. Settled for a 2-under 70.
- finished with 16 birdies, tying a season-high and his second-best career output.
- second top-5 finish of the fall and fourth of his career.
#35 William Buhl 72-70-69=211 (-5) / T19:
- placed among the top 20 in all five fall events, the only Razorback to accomplish the feat. Also, the only Razorback to have his score count toward the team total in all 15 rounds thanks to 13 rounds of par or better.
- carded a final-round, 3-under 69 to move up three spots to secure a top 20 finish.
- started his round on hole 8 and was even after 11 holes with two birdies and two bogeys. Finished the round with birdies on holes 1, 2 and 6 for his 3-under 69.
Luis Garza 69-74-70=213 (-3) / T25:
- had his best result of the season carding a 3-under-par 213. It was his first time to finish under par dating back to the 2018-29 season opener at the Carmel Cup and the total of 213 was best since the Jerry Pate Intercollegiate October 2018.
- climbed six spots on the leaderboard thanks to his final-round 69.
- Had 14 pars today, but just 29 for the event thanks to 15 birdies – the fifth-best total in the field and his most birdies sine the 2018-19 season opener at the Carmel Cup.
Tyson Reeder 71-78-70=219 (+3) / T25:
- climbed 12 spots up the leaderboard thanks to his final-round 70 (-2).
- carded five birdies in the final round and a season-high 11 birdies.
- Arkansas moved from a tie for sixth to third on the final day.
- Arkansas finishes the fall with a 41-13-1 record (.755) and will resume to 2019-20 schedule on Feb. 34- at the Sea Best Invitational (TPC Sawgrass).
- Arkansas shot par or better in all three rounds and did so in 11 of the team’s 15 rounds this fall.
For more information on Arkansas Men’s Golf, follow @RazorbackMGolf on Twitter.