Razorbacks Pick Up First SEC Win at Ole Miss

OXFORD, Miss. – Behind four interceptions and five sacks by the defense and four touchdowns through the air, the Arkansas football team beat Ole Miss, 44-8, for its first Southeastern Conference victory of the season in front of 52,671 fans at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium.

On the ground, juniors Darren McFadden and Felix Jones gained 110 and 101 yards, respectively. It marked the ninth time the two backs have both gained 100 yards or more in the same game. Jones also picked up his sixth and seventh rushing scores of the year.

The Hogs opened the scoring with a four-play, 68-yard series ended by Jones’ sixth rushing touchdown of the season, a 38-yard run up the Arkansas sideline. The play was set up by a McFadden 30-yard rush on the previous play.

After holding the Ole Miss offense to a three-and-out series, the Razorbacks took a 14-0 when Jones took the handoff from McFadden and scored his second touchdown of the first quarter on an 11-yard run. The play capped the eight-play drive. Casey Dick hit Peyton Hillis on a 34-yard completion on a third-down play earlier in the drive.

On Ole Miss’ next drive, Adrian Davis intercepted a Seth Adams pass and returned it 24 yards to the Mississippi 25-yard line. The pick was Davis’ first of his career and first by a Razorback defensive end since Antwain Robinson returned an interception for a touchdown against Florida in last season’s SEC Championship game.

Arkansas took advantage of the field position and added to its lead after a one-yard touchdown pass from Dick to tight end Andrew Davie. The score was Dick’s ninth passing touchdown of the season and the Hogs led 21-0 with 14:04 remaining in the second quarter.

With the Rebels driving and 15 yards from the endzone, Matterral Richardson intercepted an Adams’ pass to give the ball back to Arkansas with 3:44 left in the first half. It was Richardson’s second interception of the season, and third of his career.

With seven seconds left in the half, Dick threw a deep pass that was intercepted at the six-yard line by the Rebels’ Johnny Brown. During the return, Davie was called for a face-mask penalty which gave Ole Miss an un-timed play to end the half. On that play, Adams threw his third interception of the half, which was returned 46 yards by Jerell Norton who was tackled to end the half.

In the first half, Dick completed his first seven passes before an incompletion intended for Lucas Miller was thrown high. Dick finished the half completing 7-of-9 passes for 67 yards and one touchdown. Cornerback Jamar Love recorded his first career sack in the first quarter and added another in the third.

Richardson grabbed his second interception of the game at the 4:57 mark of the third quarter to set up the next Arkansas score.

Dick connected with Hillis on a nine-yard score to push the Razorback lead to 28-0. Arkansas drove the ball 50 yards on six plays during the drive and went into the fourth quarter with the shutout intact.

Freshman Alex Tejada added a 32-yard field goal in the fourth quarter. The Hogs’ lead was 31-0.

On their next offensive possession, Ole Miss turned the ball over on downs after an unsuccessful fourth-down conversion. Four plays later, Dick threw his third touchdown of the day. The junior quarterback rolled out right and threw back left to a wide-open Davie for the 14-yard score. The Razorbacks led 37-0 after the missed extra point.

Ole Miss used an eight-play, 76-yard drive to put its first points on the scoreboard with 6:26 remaining in the game. Quarterback Brent Schaeffer threw a 37-yard touchdown to Mike Wallace. The defensive penalty on the Hogs was declined and after a two-point conversion, Mississippi trailed 37-8.

The Rebels attempted an on-side kick, but the ball was recovered by Arkansas. Nathan Emert replaced Dick at quarterback and threw a 48-yard touchdown to Chris Baker. The score was the first of Emert’s career and the first of the season for Baker.

The Hogs return to Fayetteville for their Oct. 27 game against Florida International. Kickoff is scheduled for 1p.m. CT.