@RazorbackWTEN Defeats Missouri In Conference Opener
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The No. 50 University of Arkansas women’s tennis team snapped a two-match losing streak with a 6-1 victory over Missouri at the Billingsley Tennis Center on Sunday afternoon.
With the win, the Razorbacks improve to 11-4 overall and 1-0 in SEC play, while the Tigers fall to 8-5 (0-1 SEC) on this season.
“Every conference win is valuable and especially after losing the doubles point,” said head coach Michael Hegarty. “To come out and win all six first sets in singles totally changed the dynamic from the doubles and this is very encouraging for our team. It was a great team effort across the board to get tough after we basically choked the doubles point away.”
To start the match, Arkansas lost the doubles point after dropping matches on courts one and three.
The Razorbacks bounced back in a big way, winning the first set in all six singles matches. Junior Makenzie Craft upped her dual record to 6-3 following a 6-3, 6-0 win on court three over Bea Machado Santos.
Arkansas took a 2-1 lead in the match after Sophomore Shannon Hudson picked up a 6-2, 6-3 win over Cassidy Spearman on court two. On court one, Junior Yuliya Lysa improved to 12-1 in dual action when she tallied a 6-3, 6-2 win over Kelli Hine to give Arkansas a 3-1 lead in the match.
Sasha Shkorupeieva clinched things for the Razorbacks on court No. 4. The sophomore, who saved set point at 4-5 (30-40) in the second, defeated Brianna Lashway 6-1, 7-5 to secure the match.
Freshman Mia Jurasic (7-5, 2-6, 10-4) and junior Flavia Araujo (6-4, 2-6, 10-4) closed out the convincing win for the home team, picking up hard-fought victories on courts five and six to secure the 6-1 team win.
The Razorbacks are back in action on the road next weekend. Arkansas battles No.15 Ole Miss on Friday, March 6, before heading to Starkville, Miss. to face No. 63 Mississippi State on Sunday, March 8.
RESULTS – NO. 50 ARKANSAS 6, Missouri 1
1. Brianna Lashway/Bea Machado Santos (MU) def. Shannon Hudson/Yuliya Lysa (ARKW) 8-6
2. Mia Jurasic/Makenzie Craft (ARKW) def. Madison Rhyner/Kelli Hine (MU) 8-6
3. Cassidy Spearman/Brittany Lashway (MU) def. Sasha Shkorupeieva/Flavia Araujo (ARKW) 8-7 (10-8)
1. Yuliya Lysa (ARKW) def. Kelli Hine (MU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Shannon Hudson (ARKW) def. Cassidy Spearman (MU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Makenzie Craft (ARKW) def. Bea Machado Santos (MU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Sasha Shkorupeieva (ARKW) def. Brianna Lashway (MU) 6-1, 7-5
5. Mia Jurasic (ARKW) def. Brittany Lashway (MU) 7-5, 2-6, 10-4
6. Flavia Araujo (ARKW) def. Clare Raley (MU) 6-4, 2-6, 10-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,2,1,4,6,5)
For more information on Arkansas women’s tennis, follow @RazorbackWTEN on Twitter.