@RazorbackWTEN Falls At No. 17 Ole Miss
OXFORD, Miss. – The No. 44 University of Arkansas women’s tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision at No. 17 Ole Miss at the Gillom Sports Center on Friday.
With the loss, the Razorbacks fall to 11-5 overall and 1-1 in SEC play, while the Rebels improve to 9-3 (1-2 SEC) on the season.
“Obviously playing on three courts is less than ideal but we did a great job through doubles and one through four singles,” said head coach Michael Hegarty. “The first four hours of the match were as good as we have been all season and I was very pleased with our doubles play.”
The Razorbacks dropped the doubles point with a tiebreaker at No. 1, and then sophomore Shannon Hudson lost in straight sets at No. 2 singles. The Rebels followed those victories up by picking up wins in two huge three-setters at No. 1 and at No. 3 to clinch their first SEC win of the season.
Junior Yuliya Lysa took the first set in her match (7-5) and then dropped a tight second set 6-4 before falling in the third 6-3 to give Ole Miss a 3-0 lead in the match. The Rebels clinched the match when Mai El Kamash finished off a comeback against junior Makenzie Craft. Craft took the first set 6-4 and was leading 4-3 in the second, but Mai won three straight games to win it 6-4 and force a third set. Down an early break 3-2, Mai won four straight games for 6-3 to clinch the Ole Miss victory.
Sophomore Sasha Shkorupeieva dropped her match to Natalie Suk 5-7, 6-1, 10-6 at No. 4, and freshman Mia Jurasic lost her match 7-5, 6-0 at No. 5. On court No. 6, Nicole Breaux took the loss, falling to Iris Verboven 6-1, 6-2.
The Razorbacks will look to get back to their winning ways on Sunday on the road against a Mississippi State team that swept Missouri 4-0 on Friday afternoon.
RESULTS – No. 17 Ole Miss 7, #44 Arkansas 0
1. Erin Stephens/Iris Verboven (OM) def. Shannon Hudson/Yuliya Lysa (ARK) 8-7 (7-2)
2. Makenzie Craft/Mia Jurasic (ARK) def. Julia Jones/Natalie Suk (OM) 8-7 (7-3)
3. Arianne Hartono/Mai El Kamash (OM) def. Nicole Breaux/Oleksandra Shkorupei (ARK) 8-3
1. #14 Julia Jones (OM) def. Yuliya Lysa (ARK) 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
2. #43 Arianne Hartono (OM) def. Shannon Hudson (ARK) 6-2, 6-3
3. #109 Mai El Kamash (OM) def. Makenzie Craft (ARK) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Natalie Suk (OM) def. Oleksandra Shkorupei (ARK) 5-7, 6-1, 10-6
5. Erin Stephens (OM) def. Mia Jurasic (ARK) 7-5, 6-0
6. Iris Verboven (OM) def. Nicole Breaux (ARK) 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,1,3,4,5,6)
For more information on Arkansas women’s tennis, follow @RazorbackWTEN on Twitter.