From the Desk of Hunter Yurachek: Dec. 15
As we near the end of 2021, it provides a great opportunity to reflect on what a remarkable year it has been for the Razorback Family! From championships to record performances, this year will be forever etched in the Razorback history books.
- Won the 2021 NCAA Women’s Indoor T&F Championship
- Won 10 SEC Championships
- Had 18 of 19 teams ranked in the Top 25, including 13 in the Top 10
- Saw 19 sports programs advance to post season competition
- Had Men’s Basketball and Women’s Soccer both advance to the Elite Eight of their respective NCAA Tournaments
- Had Men’s Cross Country finish 4th and Women’s Cross Country finish 8th in NCAA Championship meet
- Earned a berth to a New Year’s Day Bowl Game
- Recorded a record finish in the Directors’ Cup
- Set a Program Best Graduation Success Rate, as 102 student-athletes earned degrees from the University of Arkansas
New Year’s Day Date
I can’t think of a better way to ring in the New Year than by cheering on Coach Sam Pittman and the Razorback Football team against the Penn State Nittany Lions in the 2022 Outback Bowl in Tampa, Florida. After an impressive 8-4 regular season, the Hogs earned their first New Year’s Day bowl bid since 2008. Arkansas and Penn State have not met on the gridiron previously and the Hogs will also be making their first appearance at the Outback Bowl.
Kickoff is set for 11 a.m. CT at Raymond James Stadium.
Hot Hoops Starts
Both our Razorback men’s and women’s basketball teams have gotten off to hot starts this season. Coach Eric Musselman and the men’s team have sprinted to a 9-1 start to the season, even ascending to the top 10 of the national rankings in the non-conference portion of the season. Arkansas will host Hofstra at Simmons Bank Arena on Saturday. SEC play opens on December 29 when we travel to Mississippi State.
Coach Mike Neighbors and the women’s basketball team have won seven of their last eight games and stand at 9-2 headed into finals week. The Razorbacks return to the court on Saturday afternoon at Simmons Bank Arena in North Little Rock, Arkansas when they host UCA. Arkansas opens SEC play on December 30 at Ole Miss.
Volleyball Postseason Run
Congratulations to Coach Jason Watson and the Razorback Volleyball team on its trip to the volleyball postseason. Arkansas received the top seed in the National Invitational Volleyball Championship (NIVC) and advanced to the third round of the tournament. The Razorbacks finished the season with a 20-11 record, including a 10-8 mark in the SEC.
- Congratulations to Grant Morgan, who became the first Razorback to win the Burlsworth Trophy, presented to the nation’s top player who began his career as a walk on. In addition to winning the Burlsworth Trophy, Morgan was selected as a finalist for the William V. Campbell Trophy, better known as the Academic Heisman.
- Arkansas will host its first ever gymnastics meet inside Bud Walton Arena on January 14 against Auburn. Be sure to get your tickets for that historic meet and the entire 2022 Razorback Gymnastics schedule today.
- Congratulations to Razorback golfers Brooke Matthews and Alana Uriell on earning their 2022 LPGA Tour cards this past week.
Wishing you and all Razorback Fans all the best in this holiday season and a very Happy New Year!!