MBB Preview: Arkansas vs Vanderbilt
Who: #11 Arkansas Razorbacks (19-12) vs #14 Vanderbilt Commodores (11-20)
What: Round 1 of the 2020 SEC Championship
When: Wednesday – March 11 – approx. 8:30 pm (CT)
Where: Nashville, Tenn. – Bridgestone Arena (20,000)
How (to follow):
– TV: SEC Network (Tom Hart, Andy Kennedy, Jon Sunvold, Alyssa Lange)
^ CLICK HERE to Watch ESPN/SEC Network Online
– Radio: Learfield IMG College Razorback Sports Network (Chuck Barrett and Matt Zimmerman)
^ Listen to Razorback Sports Network Online: CLICK HERE
– Sirius/XM: Sirius: 138 – XM Channel 190 – Streaming Online on channel 961
– Live Stats: SEC Tournament Central
- This will be the 40th meeting between Arkansas and Vanderbilt — all but two have come since Arkansas joined the SEC. The Razorbacks own a 27-12 advantage in the series and are 4-1 versus the Commodores in the SEC Tournament.
- Arkansas has won five straight and nine of the last 10. In a scheduling quirk, six of nine games in the span were played in Bud Walton Arena from 2015-2020.
LAST TIME THEY MET — Jan. 15, 2020 — Fayetteville
- Jimmy Whitt Jr., scored a career-high 30 points and grabbed eight rebounds to lead Arkansas to a 75-55 victory over Vanderbilt at Bud Walton Arena.
- Reggie Chaney (6-of-6 from the field and 2-of-2 at the line) tied his career-high with 14 points while Desi Sills contributed 13 points and a career-high seven rebounds.
- Whitt’s career-high 30 points were unexpected as the game featured three of the top 10 scorers in the SEC – Mason Jones, Isaiah Joe and Saben Lee. All three went scoreless in the first half.
- After Lee’s first points – and old-fashion 3-point play at 17:24 – the Commodores got to within four (37-33). However, that is as close as they would get. Arkansas got the back-to-back 3-pointers from Joe to lead by 10 and held a double-digit advantage the rest of the way.
Arkansas at Bridgestone / SEC
- Arkansas is 5-7 all-time at Bridgestone Arena.
- Arkansas has reached the final of two SEC Tournaments played at Bridgestone Arena (2015 and 2017).
- The Razorbacks have reached the semifinals in three of the last five SEC Tournaments (2015, 2017 and 2018).
- In 27 previous SEC Tournaments, Arkansas is 26-27, won the 2000 championship, has reached seven finals and 14 semifinals.
Best Scoring Duo in the SEC / Among Best in NCAA
- Arkansas is the only team in the SEC to feature two players in the league’s top 10 for scoring.
^ Mason Jones (1st / 22.0) • Isaiah Joe (7th / 16.8)
^ Jimmy Whitt Jr ranks 13th in the SEC in scoring (14.1).
^ Arkansas and Alabama are the only two schools with three in the league’s top 15.
- Jones and Joe are the best scoring duo among the NCAA Power Conferences.
- Arkansas is one of 10 schools to have two players among the NCAA top 125.
- The following are the NCAA top scoring duos:
^ Hampton – 46.8 – Jermaine Marrow (24.8 – 3rd NCAA) • Ben Stanley (22.0 – 9th NCAA)
^ UTSA – 45.7 – Jhivann Jackson (27.2 – 2nd NCAA) • Keaton Wallace (18.5 – 64th NCAA)
^ UT Martin – 39.4 – Quintin Dove (20.0 – 25th NCAA) • Parker Stewart (19.2 – 46th NCAA)
^ Austin Peay – 39.2 – Terry Taylor (21.8 – 13th NCAA) • Jordyn Adams (17.4 – 102nd NCAA)
^ Arkansas – 38.8 – Mason Jones (2.0 – 8th NCAA) • Isaiah Joe (16.8 – 125th NCAA)
For more information on Arkansas Men’s Basketball, follow @RazorbackMBB on Twitter.