McGlone Wins Beam Title At Georgia
ATHENS, Ga. – Sydney McGlone won the balance beam individual title and led the Razorbacks on vault and floor exercise in the Razorbacks’ SEC road opener. Despite a strong finish, the Arkansas gymnastics team fell to No. 16 Georgia 196.225-195.025 on Friday night in Stegeman Coliseum.
McGlone won first place on beam with a career-best 9.900 and also led the way with a 9.875 on vault and a 9.825 on floor exercise.
Braie Speed led the team with a 9.75 on bars and matched her season high with a 9.825 on vault, while McGlone nearly matched her career high with a 9.875 on vault.
Samantha Nelson matched her season high with a 9.800, and McGlone set a season high with a 9.825, as Arkansas scored a 48.800 on floor exercise, outscoring Georgia, who scored a 48.725 on balance beam in the third rotation.
The Razorbacks closed strong on balance beam, setting a season high with a 49.000 in the final event of the night. In addition to McGlone, who won the individual title, Nelson scored a 9.800 and Kirby Rathjen scored a 9.825.
Arkansas continues its six-week stretch against SEC competition, returning home to host No. 4 Alabama on Friday, Jan. 27 at 7:30 p.m. It’s the first of three home meets in the next four weeks at Barnhill Arena, which also includes No. 2 LSU on Feb. 10 and No. 3 Florida on Feb. 17.
- Sydney McGlone won her first individual event title this season, her first career balance beam title and second career individual event title overall.
- Sydney McGlone scored a 9.825 or higher in all three events that she competed, including a career-high 9.9 on beam.
- Samantha Nelson scored a 9.8 on both floor exercise and balance beam, the only two events that she competed.
- Kirby Rathjen made her career debut on vault, while Makenzie Anderson made her season debut on floor and Mia Bargiacchi made her season debut on balance beam.
- Arkansas will face six more teams ranked in the top 30 nationally. That includes three of the top four nationally, all at home, beginning with No. 4 Alabama on Jan. 27.
“The Best Show in Town” returns home to Barnhill Arena for three of its next four meets, beginning with No. 3 Alabama on Friday, Jan. 27 at 7:30 p.m. Arkansas also hosts No. 2 LSU on Feb. 10 and No. 3 Florida on Feb. 17, after traveling to No. 11 Auburn on Feb. 3.
Single-meet tickets and NCAA Regional tickets remain on sale. Single-meet tickets are $5 each, while NCAA Regional tickets are $10 each. Fans can purchase tickets by calling the Razorback Ticket Center at 800-982-HOGS or 479-575-5151. Additional ticketing information can also be found online.