Arkansas Takes Down LSU To Open SEC Play
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The Arkansas men’s tennis team improved to 6-4 overall and 1-0 in conference play, defeating the LSU Tigers 6-1 Friday night to open Southeastern Conference play.
Arkansas would pick up the doubles point for just the fourth time this season with wins on court two and three. On court two, Oscar Mesquida and Adam Sanjurjo won in convincing fashion, defeating Rafael Wagner and Agie Moreno 6-3. On court three, Alex Reco and Pedro Alonso had to fight back after being down 5-3 to defeat Shane Monroe and Stewart Block 7-5. Jose Salazar and Josh Howard-Tripp were down 6-5 at the clinch to Gabor Csonka and Julian Saborio.
At the top spot in singles, No. 78 Salazar made quick work of LSU’s Shane Monroe, winning 6-0, 6-1 to give Arkansas the 2-0 lead. Salazar improved to 14-6 this season, including an 8-2 mark in the spring.
Following Salazar’s lead, Howard-Tripp closed out Rafael Wagner 6-4, 6-0 to push Arkansas’ lead to 3-0. The freshman now is 13-9 this season, including 6-4 in the spring.
At court two, Sanjurjo fell to Gabor Csonka 6-2, 6-4 to get LSU on the board, as the Razorbacks led 3-1.
At the No. 4 spot, Mesquida defeated Julian Soborio 7-5, 6-4 to give Arkansas the 4-1 lead and the match win. The win brings Mesquida back to even in the spring, as the junior is now 4-4 this spring and 9-8 overall.
After the clinch, courts five and six played out their matches. On court six, Reco took care of Agie Moreno to pick up three-set win, defeating Moreno 4-6, 6-2, 6-1. On court five, Pedro Alonso went to a third-set tiebreaker with Nikola Samardzic, defeating the Tiger 4-6, 6-4, 10-6.
The Razorbacks will return to action on Sunday, as the Razorbacks host No. 7 Texas A&M at 1 p.m., followed by a doubleheader with UMKC.
Arkansas 6, LSU 1
Singles Results – Order of finish (1,3,2,4,6,5)
1. #78 Jose Salazar (AR) def. Shane Monroe (LSU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Gabor Csonka (LSU) def. Adam Sanjurjo (AR) 6-2, 6-4
3. Josh Howard-Tripp (AR) def. Rafael Wagner (LSU) 6-4, 6-0
4. Oscar Mesquida (AR) def. Julian Saborio (LSU) 7-5, 6-4
5. Pedro Alonso (AR) def. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) 4-6, 6-4, 10-6
6. Alex Reco (AR) def. Agie Moreno (LSU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
Doubles Results – Order of finish (2,3)
1. Gabor Csonka/Julian Saborio (LSU) vs. Jose Salazar/Josh Howard-Tripp (AR) 6-5, unfinished
2. Oscar Mesquida/Adam Sanjurjo (AR) def. Rafael Wagner/Agie Moreno (LSU) 6-3
3. Alex Reco/Pedro Alonso (AR) def. Shane Monroe/Stewart Block (LSU) 7-5
For more information on Razorback men’s tennis, please follow @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.