No. 25 Arkansas Ready For Rematch With Tennessee
AT A GLANCE
Arkansas will look to avenge a loss to Tennessee two weeks ago in Knoxville when the two teams meet again on Tuesday at Bud Walton Arena. Four of the Razorbacks’ six SEC games have been decided by five points or less, including two straight wins over Alabama (93-91) and at Missouri (61-60). Arkansas and Tennessee are part of a five-way tie for second in the SEC at 4-2.
• Arkansas moved back into the top 25 at No. 25 in the USA Today Coaches Poll and has now been ranked three of four weeks in January.
• Arkansas has reached 15 wins before its 20th game for the first time since 1997-98.
• Arkansas (No. 22) is one of eight SEC teams in the ESPN RPI Top 55 while Tennessee is No. 55.
• Sophomore BOBBY PORTIS (17.5) & junior MICHAEL QUALLS (16.4) are the top SEC scoring duo.
• Arkansas is one of three teams in the top 10 nationally in scoring (6th) and assists (8th).
• Arkansas is receiving votes in both Associated Press Top 25 and USA Today Coaches Poll.
Sophomore BOBBY PORTIS has a program record five straight double-doubles in SEC play, averaging 18.8 points and 11.0 rebounds over that span.
|NO. 25 ARKANSAS (15-4, 4-2) VS. TENNESSEE (12-6, 4-2)|
DATE | TIME
|Tuesday, January 27, 2015|
SITE | ARENA
|Fayetteville, Ark. | Bud Walton Arena (19,200)|
TV | VIDEO
|ESPNU & WatchESPN App|
|Bob Wischusen (PBP), LaPhonso Ellis (Analyst)|
|Razorback/IMG Sports Network|
|Chuck Barrett (P-B-P) & Scotty Thurman (Analyst)|
|Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
|#Fastest40 | #WeHogs|
|at Florida (Saturday, Jan. 31)|
@RAZORBACKMBB FAST BREAK FACTS
• Off to 4-2 start in SEC play for the first time since 2007-08, to sit in a five-way tie for second place in the standings.
• First time since 1997-98, Arkansas has 15 wins before its 20th game.
• Currently No. 22 in the ESPN RPI with six wins over the top 100 and a 4-2 mark against the top 50.
• Both top 25 RPI wins have come on the road at SMU (No. 19) and at Georgia (No. 24).
• One of four teams (Kansas, Virginia, Duke) with two top 25 RPI road wins.
• Arkansas has won back-to-back SEC games by two points or less three times in program history, including twice under coach Anderson.
• Won five of its last eight SEC regular season road games with two of the losses (Missouri – 1 & Tennessee – 5) coming by a combined six points.
• One of three teams (BYU & Davidson) nationally in the top 10 in scoring (82.3/6th) and assists (17.3/8th).
• Won 22 straight games when leading at the half.
• Portis and Qualls have three of the top four scoring performances in the SEC this season, highlighted by being the first Arkansas duo to score 30 points against an SEC opponent in the same season.
• Lead the SEC in scoring (82.3), three-pointers per game (7.2) three-point percentage (.374) and assists (17.3).
• Portis and Qualls have combined for 30+ points 13 times (10-3) and 40+ points in four games (4-0).
• Eight different players have reached double figures.
• Four different players have scored 20 points.
• Second in the SEC and 18th nationally in offensive rebounding (13.9).
Head Coach: Mike Anderson (Tulsa ‘82)
Record at Arkansas: 74-43 (4th Season)
Overall Record: 274-141 (13th Season)
Vs. Tennessee: 1-3
Head Coach: Donnie Tyndall (Morehead State ‘93)
Record at Tennessee: 12-6 (1st Season)
Overall Record: 212-113 (10th Season)
Vs. Arkansas: 1-0
Tennessee has taken two straight and four of the last five games in the series to own a 19-14 all-time edge. Arkansas has won the last two meetings in the friendly confines of Bud Walton Arena and is 7-3 in the series at BWA. Since Arkansas joined the SEC in 1991-92, 20 of its 29 meetings with Tennessee have been decided by 10 points or less.
Either junior MICHAEL QUALLS or sophomore BOBBY PORTIS has been Arkansas’ top scorer in 16 of 19 games this season, combining for 30+ points 13 times (10-3), 40+ in four (4-0) of the last seven and two 50-point performances. Both have finished in double figures 15 times while combining for 15 of the team’s 17 20-point games. One of the two has reached the 20-point plateau in 12 games, while they are one of two SEC duos in the top 5 in scoring. Qualls and Portis don’t just get it done on the offensive end, as they rank one and two on the team in rebounding, leading the way on the glass 17 times. Below is a look at the top scoring duos in the SEC.
Program PPG Mins Per
Bobby Portis & Michael Qualls Arkansas 33.9 59.5
Jarell Martin & Jordan Mickey LSU 33.1 70.2
KT Harrell & Antoine Mason Auburn 31.3 61.0
Stefan Moody & Jarvis Summers Ole Miss 29.3 54.8
Damian Jones & Riley LaChance Vanderbilt 28.8 62.9
WATCH LIST FRENZY
The SEC’s leading scorer and one of three high-major players averaging 17.5 points and 8.5 rebounds, sophomore BOBBY PORTIS was one of 25 players on the Wooden Award Midseason Watch List. Portis is also on the Lute Olson Midseason Watch List (25 players) and the Oscar Robertson Trophy Midseason Watch List (17 players). He is one of eight players on all three lists.
RECORD BOOK WATCH
Senior RASHAD MADDEN is two assists shy of breaking into the top 10 all-time in program history. With 300 assists, Madden is two shy of Darrell Walker in 10th and three away from Gary Ervin and Keith Wilson in a tie for eighth with 303. Madden is currently fourth all-time in free throws made (162) in SEC action.